packp3d_dev and pdeploy_dev

I’d like to re-open this, as I’m still not managing to produce an installable build. :confused:

I’m still using the versions of packp3d_dev and pdeploy_dev that I was using when I first opened this thread, I believe. I do thus still have the “per-platform” issue, but that’s easily corrected while testing, and I gather that this should be fixed in the versions of packp3d and pdeploy released for 1.9.

I’ve performed a few more experiments using a very simple test-program (all under Ubuntu 13.10), summarised below:

What I’ve been doing:

• The commands used to build were as follows:
panda3d packp3d_dev.p3d -o CompilationTest.p3d -d ../CompilationTest/ -r morepy -e dat -n ogg

and

panda3d pdeploy_dev.p3d -P linux_amd64 -a ian.eborn -A "Ian Eborn" -s -N "CompilationTest" -v 2 CompilationTest.p3d installer
  • I’ve run packp3d_dev both with and without the “-m” flag; when building without it, I naturally renamed my main (and only) Python file “main.py”.
  • Within the main Python file, I’ve tried placing the code that instantiates and runs the main class both outside of any methods or classes, so that it’s run automatically, and within a function named “main”.

My results thus far:

• The p3d file itself can be run via the runtime, both from the command-line and by simply double-clicking.
  • The installed version, however, seems to shut down almost immediately, with no apparent errors in the log file.

Finally, I have a question:

Looking at the directory created on installation of my test-program, I don’t see any files that seem to be specific to that program–no “CompilationTest” -.p3d, -.so, or -.mf, for example–which prompts me to wonder whether the problem might not be that my program simply isn’t being included in the installation, and the execution thus having nothing to do after loading Panda and just exiting.

However, I could simply be missing the relevant files. So where should I be looking, and what should I be looking for?