error messages when upgrading from 1.7.2 to 1.8.0

I upgraded from version 1.7.2 to 1.8.0 build 433 Panda SDK from 2012-01-02 and when I run my application there are a number of errors and warnings that were not there in panda 1.7.2. I have not changed a single line of code. The only difference is the 1.7.2. vs the 1.8.0 installation. The errors are:

:display:gsg:glgsg(error): at 8429 of c:\buildslave\dev_sdk_win32\build\panda3d\
panda\src\glstuff\glGraphicsStateGuardian_src.cxx : invalid enumerant
:display:gsg:glgsg(error): at 8429 of c:\buildslave\dev_sdk_win32\build\panda3d\
:movies:ffmpeg(warning): parser not found for codec pcm_s16le, packets or times
may be invalid.
may be invalid.
may be invalid.

The ‘:movies:ffmpeg(warning)’ warnings seem to be associated with the AudioManager, while the ‘:display:gsg:glgsg(error)’ errors occur when the taskmanager is stepped.

I’m trying to debug to see where precisely this goes wrong, but I can’t pin it down to a specific python statement. If anyone has encountered these errors/warnings when migrating to 1.8.0 and found a solution I would be very grateful for all suggestions.

I found what causes the ‘:display:gsg:glgsg(error)’ problem. I use a skydome which can be any of a series of bam files. When it is reparented to render (self.skysphere.reparentTo(render)), the errors occur. Which I don’t understand because a lot of other *.bam models are reparented to render without causing a problem. Could it be that all bam models have to made converted from the egg files all over again because the bam format is version dependent ?

I made new bam files for the skydomes and the error was solved, so it’s just a version issue of bam files. However, the warnings:

‘:movies:ffmpeg(warning): parser not found for codec pcm_s16le, packets or times
may be invalid.’

still appear and the *.wav files I use sound very distorted in 1.8.0, while they were fine in 1.7.2. Does anyone have a clue ?

I’m a bit surprised about the bam file version thing, although bam files are indeed version dependent, it shouldn’t fail in this way. (It should either load the bam file correctly or not load it at all, with an appropriate error message.) Can you post one of the bad bam files, if you still have them, or an egg file that can be used to reproduce a bad bam file?

I’m not sure about your audio problems, but perhaps it’s due to a difference in the ffmpeg version? From the error message, it does seem like ffmpeg doesn’t know what to do with your audio. You could try re-encoding it into a different form.

David

Here’s a url for a bam file that gives no problem in 1.7.2, but gives trouble in 1.8.0: http://www.carnetsoft.com/downloads/skybam.zip

Thank you for this; I found the problem and committed a fix. It should be able to load old bam files now without errors. :slight_smile:

David

Hi,
I have the same problem with wavs. Does anyone find a solution? (i’m using 1.8.1 on windows)

‘:movies:ffmpeg(warning): parser not found for codec pcm_s16le, packets or times
may be invalid.’

Thanks!

I’d like you to try a recent development build of 1.9 and see if it persists. We have a new native .wav loader. If the problem persists with a 1.9 build, I’d like you to send me the .wav file and I’ll see about committing a fix.

Ok, i will. There is a link for the build in download page? some specific version?
The python code to reproduce the wav is the same?

Just click “devel” on the download page, any build will do. Yes, the same code to load the .wav should be used.

Hi rdb,
I did the .wav loading with the devel version of panda3d. It worked fine, that’s great! no errors or warnings.
Is there a patch with this fix for panda 1.8.1 (the version i’m using)?

BTW i have to say that the engine throw a new warning with this version (not happening with 1.8.1).
:pnmimage:png(warning): iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile

Thanks!

No, sorry, this is really a fix that will only work with 1.9. Well, if you wanted to, you could actually copy over the relevant wavAudio* files from panda/src/movies into a 1.8 source tree, and then edit movieAudio.cxx to hard-wire to the WavAudio class instead of the FfmpegAudio class.

The PNG warning has to do with some of your .png files having incorrect colour profile information. (I believe older versions of libpng simply didn’t warn about it.) You may safely ignore it.

Ok, thanks.
Do you have an estimate release date for panda 1.9?

Either next month or the month after that.

Oh, great! I’m also having warnings with some movies (xvid and specially ogv) i will check with dev version and let you know.

The bug i reported with oggs ([Strange problem playing ogg files)) seems to be fixed in this version but when i play the ogg second time i can heard a very little sound at the beging. I tried with wav and flac files and worked perfect, with ogg is better but not perfect.

Hope this help.
Thanks!