Oculus Rift - Sponsoring support for Panda3d

Would you donate to sponsor a DevKit?

• Yes
  • I would if I had money
  • No, I don’t support the idea

0 voters

The Oculus Rift is a next-generation virtual reality headset designed for immersive gaming.
It is being developed by Oculus VR, who have raised $16 million, of which $2.4 million was raised with crowdfunding via Kickstarter. The company was founded by Palmer Luckey and the co-founders of Scaleform.
oculusvr.com/

In order to get support for this awesome device in panda3d, I think we would have to buy a DevKit (oculusvr.com/pre-order/) for rdb. I have asked him, and he mentioned we could get support for it if he only had a devkit. I think this feature would be awesome, and I’d love to support it, if I only had enough money :frowning:

The price for the devkit is actually 300.00 USD, including s&h we are at 357.20 USD.
It would be really awesome if we, the community, could sponsor that, to bring that next-gen feature into Panda3D!

What do you think?

Thanks in advance
Tobias

1 Like

This is a great initiative, and I’d love to do what I can to see the Oculus Rift supported in Panda3D. Tell you what: if you guys make it to $300, I’ll chip in for the remaining $57.20 myself. :slight_smile:

I’ve been excitedly following the Oculus Rift project myself, and I think that it heralds a new age for 3D gaming. It’s exciting that major players in the game industry (Gabe Newell, John Carmack, and more) have already endorsed the project. It would be awesome if Panda3D could be a part of this next generation of gaming.

i’d be in for bout 50 USD.

250 to go

Put me down for $50 as well.

My partner and I will commit $100. We are interested in trying to use it in our next project.

We also think that this would be a very good thing for Panda to get more people interested in using the engine. Experimental type projects combined with the quick iteration of Python is such a great combination.

This would be especially good since as far as I know, Panda would be the only free engine with support.
http://www.roadtovr.com/2013/03/24/unity-free-not-to-support-oculus-rift-palmer-luckey-responds-4223

It is clear that the Oculus team is supporting Unity’s interest, given how much they promote the use of Unity and the fact that they give a trial Unity Pro license with the dev kits. They have not shown any interest in supporting open-source engines besides making the SDK freely available. This is a shame, but you’re right; we could use this as an opportunity to make Panda stand out. (That said, it appears that people from other open-source engine communities are also pretty far in making support for it.)

Personally, I probably wouldn’t use rift support, but I’d be willing to chip in $50 :slight_smile:

I’ll throw in $20. I just ordered one of these myself so I can’t afford to give any more.

If my math is still good I believe that makes it $30 to go.

I’ll put in the last $30… (Or, max $50 in case your maths was wrong :stuck_out_tongue: )

Thats just awesome guys! I did not expect we would meet that goal such early, this is a big step for panda3D!

I spoke to rdb and we agreed that it’s easiest for you to send your contribution to paypal@rdb.name and that he then orders it.
If you have problems or questions, just ask :slight_smile:

This is the first crowdfunding effort within the Panda community that I’ve seen, and looks like it was a success. Great!

Feel free to contact me if a bitcoin or bank transfer is preferred over PayPal.

done

done :wink:

There ya go. Exciting! :slight_smile:

I can send 50$ after a salary (week or two) If it still be necessary

Done :slight_smile:

also done, chipped in a few bucks extra in case someone forgot to add the paypal transaction fees.

Just choose “send to family/friends” instead of “paying for services/product” when it gives you the choice and your account will incur the fees and not the receiver.

Done

Thanks all. The Oculus Rift devkit has shipped today. Unfortunately I won’t be able to play with it yet until I come back from vacation in a week and a half.