Model Converting and so on

Is it possible at all to convert either a .bam or .egg file to a format readable by a game engine like Unity? Thanks.

Yes, it is. If the model is animated, though, it becomes harder.

If it’s not animated, the easiest one for use in Unity is DXF. If the model is in .bam format, you’ll have to convert to .egg first. Use the same steps as below, but use bam2egg first, then egg2dxf.
You’ll have to use command prompt.
Open command prompt. Assuming you have the latest version of Panda installed, type(without the quotes)
“cd C:\Panda3D-1.8.1”
That will get you into the Panda root folder as your starting location for command prompt. Then type (without the quotes) “bin\egg2dxf.exe -h”. This will list all the options you can have for the conversion.

For this example, assume that your egg models are in the folder C:\models, and you want them to end up in C:\models\dxf. You’ll use the following format: egg2dxf [opts] input.egg output.dxf
You won’t actually include [opts], but if you want to add any of the options, you’ll put them in that position.

So your the final thing you’ll have to type is(without the brackets, because you’ll nee the quotes this time): [bin\egg2dxf.exe “C:/models/beginningfilename.egg” “C:/models/dxf/endingfilename.dxf”]

If your exporting animated models, you’ll have to use egg2x and find a way to convert out of .x format.

Alternately, if you have Maya you can use one of the egg2maya tools to convert it and stick it in your maya folders. Unfortunately there is no batch conversion, so if you have more than one model you’ll have to do it one at a time.

Hope that helps!

It did! Thank you. However, I can no longer texture the meshes outside of Panda. However this is a problem that does not retain to Panda3D as far as I know, so thank you.

It might be a pathname thing. If your textures are referenced to and absolute pathname, or the folder you converted them into doesn’t have the same relative path in it, that might be what’s causing the problem. You could try using the -noabs option to see if it’s an absolute pathname thing, or maybe -pc or -pr to help change the paths. The full descriptions of what they do can be found by running the -h thing like I said above.