Axis - indicator reloded (solved)

Dear Forum,

I’m looking for a way to implement an axis- indicator like the one known from CAD- Programs,

a little tripod (red,green,blue) in a corner of one of 3 Display regions it’s size and position

beeing independent from the camera.

Any ideas how to put the modell of this tripod in it’s corner ?

THX

Martin

Could you parent it to the camera, so that it moves as the camera moves, thus appearing to be independent of it? Otherwise, perhaps parent it to a 2d scene graph (such as aspect2d or render2d, or some other that you create for your display region).

Parenting it to aspect2d got me the little tripod in the desired corner:

ratio = (self.frame.GetSize().width/float(self.frame.GetSize().height))*0.9
    self.XAchse = loader.loadModel("./models//Pfeil1")
    self.XAchse.setTexture(self.texPfeilRed)
    self.XAchse.setPos(-ratio,0,-0.9)
    self.XAchse.setHpr(0,0,90)
    self.XAchse.setScale(self.ScaleReps*0.02)
    self.XAchse.reparentTo(base.aspect2d)
    self.ZAchse = loader.loadModel("./models//Pfeil1")
    self.ZAchse.setTexture(self.texPfeilBlue)
    self.ZAchse.setPos(-ratio,0,-0.9)
    self.ZAchse.setScale(self.ScaleReps*0.02)
    self.ZAchse.reparentTo(base.aspect2d)
    self.YAchse = loader.loadModel("./models//Pfeil1")
    self.YAchse.setTexture(self.texPfeilGreen)
    self.YAchse.setPos(-ratio,0,-0.9)
    self.YAchse.setHpr(0,90,0)
    self.YAchse.setScale(self.ScaleReps*0.01)
    self.YAchse.reparentTo(base.aspect2d)

Then I implemented a task to move it when the camera is moved :

I can get cam.getHpr() 

but now I have to look into the transformation of camHpr into X-Y-ZAchse Hpr’s and at the moment this leaves me clueless

Maybe another aproach?

First of all, I note that you have three separate models; in that case, I suggest parenting them all to a single NodePath and then parenting that to whatever parent you decide to use (aspect2d above): this should allow you to set the orientation of the axes as a whole, rather than modifying each individually.

As to the appropriate H, P and R for your axes, have you tried simply using the negative of the camera’s H, P and R?

You would end up with code something like this:

self.axisRoot = base.aspect2d.attachNewNode(PandaNode("axis root")) # Or whatever you want to call it

# <The code that you posted above, with one difference for each axis:>
#<...>
self.XAchse.reparentTo(self.axisRoot)
#<...>
self.ZAchse.reparentTo(self.axisRoot)
#<...>
self.YAchse.reparentTo(self.axisRoot)

# Wherever you want to set the orientation of your axes:
hpr = cam.getHpr()

self.axisRoot.setHpr(-hpr[0], -hpr[1], -hpr[2])

NodePath.setCompass can be used to make a node inherit rotations from another node other than it’s own parent. If done right, you shouldn’t even need a task. Disable your task and try this:

empty = aspect2d.attachNewNode("empty")
empty.setPos(-0.8, 0, -0.8)
empty.setScale(0.04)
axis = loader.loadModel("zup-axis")
axis.reparentTo(empty)
axis.setCompass(camera)

Adjust position and scale according to your needs. “zup-axis” came with my version of Panda3D, but substitute your own model as necessary.

@Hollower: thx for pointing out the setCompass() method and the “zup-axis” modell
@Thaumaturge: of course subnoding is better

But Both methods give the wrong result

CameraHandler (by Ninth and piratePanda):

from direct.showbase import DirectObject
from pandac.PandaModules import Vec3,Vec2
import math

# Last modified: 10/2/2009
# This class takes over control of the camera and sets up a Real Time Strategy game type camera control system. The user can move the camera three
# ways. If the mouse cursor is moved to the edge of the screen, the camera will pan in that direction. If the right mouse button is held down, the
# camera will orbit around it's target point in accordance with the mouse movement, maintaining a fixed distance. The mouse wheel will move the
# camera closer to or further from it's target point.

# This code was originally developed by Ninth from the Panda3D forums, and has been modified by piratePanda to achieve a few effects.
   # First mod: Comments. I've gone through the code and added comments to explain what is doing what, and the reason for each line of code.
   # Second mod: Name changes. I changed some names of variables and functions to make the code a bit more readable (in my opinion).
   # Third mod: Variable pan rate. I have changed the camera panning when the mouse is moved to the edge of the screen so that the panning
      # rate is dependant on the distance the camera has been zoomed out. This prevents the panning from appearing faster when
      # zoomed in than when zoomed out. I have also added a pan rate variable, which could be modified by an options menu, so it is
      # easier to give the player control over how fast the camera pans.
   # Fourth mod: Variable pan zones. I added a variable to control the size of the zones at the edge of the screen where the camera starts
      # panning.
   # Fifth mod: Orbit limits: I put in a system to limit how far the camera can move along it's Y orbit to prevent it from moving below the ground
      # plane or so high that you get a fast rotation glitch.
   # Sixth mod: Pan limits: I put in variables to use for limiting how far the camera can pan, so the camera can't pan away from the map. These
      # values will need to be customized to the map, so I added a function for setting them.

# Starting Point Hard coded; Limits Hard Coded To Kampfbahn; ZMovement Added q toggles between y movement or z movement MBU

class CameraHandler(DirectObject.DirectObject):
   def __init__(self):

base.disableMouse()
      # This disables the default mouse based camera control used by panda. This default control is awkward, and won't be used.

base.camera.setPos(0,-250,66)
      self.camPos_g = (0,-250,66)
      base.camera.lookAt(0,0,0)
      self.camTarget_g_x = 0
      self.camTarget_g_y = 0
      self.camTarget_g_z = 0
      self.camDist_g = 258
      # Gives the camera an initial position and rotation.

self.mx,self.my=0,0
      # Sets up variables for storing the mouse coordinates
      self.panning = False
      self.orbiting=False
      self.mouseleft = '0' 
      self.mouseright = '0' 
      self.mousemod = '0'
      self.control = '0'
      # A boolean variable for specifying whether the camera is in orbiting mode. Orbiting mode refers to when the camera is being moved
      # because the user is holding down the right mouse button.

self.target=Vec3()
      # sets up a vector variable for the camera's target. The target will be the coordinates that the camera is currently focusing on.

self.camDist = 258
      # A variable that will determine how far the camera is from it's target focus

self.panRateDivisor = 20
      # This variable is used as a divisor when calculating how far to move the camera when panning. Higher numbers will yield slower panning
      # and lower numbers will yield faster panning. This must not be set to 0.

self.panZoneSize = .15
      # This variable controls how close the mouse cursor needs to be to the edge of the screen to start panning the camera. It must be less than 1,
      # and I recommend keeping it less than .2

self.panLimitsX = Vec2(-100, 100)
      self.panLimitsY = Vec2(-100, 100)
      self.panLimitsZ = Vec2(-100, 100)
      # These three variables will serve as limits for how far the camera can pan, so you don't scroll away from the map.

self.setTarget(0,0,0)
      # calls the setTarget function to set the current target position to the origin.

self.turnCameraAroundPoint(0,0)
      # calls the turnCameraAroundPoint function with a turn amount of 0 to set the camera position based on the target and camera distance

self.accept("mouse3",self.startOrbit)
      # sets up the camrea handler to accept a right mouse click and start the "drag" mode.

self.accept("mouse3-up",self.stopOrbit)
      # sets up the camrea handler to understand when the right mouse button has been released, and ends the "drag" mode when
      # the release is detected.

# The next pair of lines use lambda, which creates an on-the-spot one-shot function.

self.accept("wheel_up",lambda : self.adjustCamDist(0.9))
      # sets up the camera handler to detect when the mouse wheel is rolled upwards and uses a lambda function to call the
      # adjustCamDist function  with the argument 0.9

self.accept("wheel_down",lambda : self.adjustCamDist(1.1))
      # sets up the camera handler to detect when the mouse wheel is rolled upwards and uses a lambda function to call the
      # adjustCamDist function  with the argument 1.1

#++++Added to implement left mouse button to start pan movement
      #
      self.accept("mouse1",self.startPan)
      # sets up thew camera handler to accept  a left mouse click and act as second reason to start pan mode
      # (first is mouse near the sides of the window)
      self.accept("mouse1-up",self.stopPan)
      # sets up the camera handler to understand when the left mouse button has been released, and ends the "pan" mode when
      # the release is detected.
      # 
      self.accept('h', self.On_h )
      # resets the camera Position to StartPoint
      self.ToggleZ = False
      self.accept('q', self.On_q )
      # toggles Z movement of camera
      self.accept('d',self.On_d)
      self.accept('d-up',self.On_D_up)
      self.accept('control-g',self.On_Control_g)
      self.accept('g',self.On_g)
      self.accept('e',self.On_e)
      self.accept('e-up',self.On_e_up)
      self.accept('control-e',self.On_Control_e)
   #++++End Addition
      taskMgr.add(self.camMoveTask,'camMoveTask')
      # sets the camMoveTask to be run every frame
   def On_d(self):
      self.mousemod = '1'
   def On_D_up(self):
      self.mousemod = '0'
   def On_e(self):
      self.mousemod = '2'
   def On_e_up(self):
      self.mousemod = '0'
   def On_Control_e(self):
      self.mousemod = '3'   

def turnCameraAroundPoint(self,deltaX,deltaY):
      # This function performs two important tasks. First, it is used for the camera orbital movement that occurs when the
      # right mouse button is held down. It is also called with 0s for the rotation inputs to reposition the camera during the
      # panning and zooming movements.
      # The delta inputs represent the change in rotation of the camera, which is also used to determine how far the camera
         # actually moves along the orbit.

newCamHpr = Vec3()
         newCamPos = Vec3()
         # Creates temporary containers for the new rotation and position values of the camera.

camHpr=base.camera.getHpr()
         # Creates a container for the current HPR of the camera and stores those values.

newCamHpr.setX(camHpr.getX()+deltaX)
         newCamHpr.setY(self.clamp(camHpr.getY()-deltaY, -89, -0))
         newCamHpr.setZ(camHpr.getZ())
         # Adjusts the newCamHpr values according to the inputs given to the function. The Y value is clamped to prevent
         # the camera from orbiting beneath the ground plane and to prevent it from reaching the apex of the orbit, which
         # can cause a disturbing fast-rotation glitch.

base.camera.setHpr(newCamHpr)
         # Sets the camera's rotation to the new values.

angleradiansX = newCamHpr.getX() * (math.pi / 180.0)
         angleradiansY = newCamHpr.getY() * (math.pi / 180.0)
         # Generates values to be used in the math that will calculate the new position of the camera.         
         newCamPos.setX(self.camDist*math.sin(angleradiansX)*math.cos(angleradiansY)+self.target.getX())
         newCamPos.setY(-self.camDist*math.cos(angleradiansX)*math.cos(angleradiansY)+self.target.getY())
         newCamPos.setZ(-self.camDist*math.sin(angleradiansY)+self.target.getZ())
         base.camera.setPos(newCamPos.getX(),newCamPos.getY(),newCamPos.getZ())
         # Performs the actual math to calculate the camera's new position and sets the camera to that position.
         #Unfortunately, this math is over my head, so I can't fully explain it.

base.camera.lookAt(self.target.getX(),self.target.getY(),self.target.getZ() )
         # Points the camera at the target location.

def setTarget(self,x,y,z):
      #This function is used to give the camera a new target position.
      x = self.clamp(x, self.panLimitsX.getX(), self.panLimitsX.getY())
      self.target.setX(x)
      y = self.clamp(y, self.panLimitsY.getX(), self.panLimitsY.getY())
      self.target.setY(y)
      self.target.setZ(z)
      # Stores the new target position values in the target variable. The x and y values are clamped to the pan limits.

def setPanLimits(self,xMin, xMax, yMin, yMax):
      # This function is used to set the limitations of the panning movement.

self.panLimitsX = (xMin, xMax)
      self.panLimitsY = (yMin, yMax)
      # Sets the inputs into the limit variables.

def clamp(self, val, minVal, maxVal):
      # This function constrains a value such that it is always within or equal to the minimum and maximum bounds.

val = min( max(val, minVal), maxVal)
      # This line first finds the larger of the val or the minVal, and then compares that to the maxVal, taking the smaller. This ensures
      # that the result you get will be the maxVal if val is higher than it, the minVal if val is lower than it, or the val itself if it's
      # between the two.

return val
      # returns the clamped value

def startOrbit(self):
      # This function puts the camera into orbiting mode.

self.orbiting=True
      # Sets the orbiting variable to true to designate orbiting mode as on.
      self.mouseright = '1' 
   def stopOrbit(self):

# This function takes the camera out of orbiting mode.

self.orbiting=False
      # Sets the orbiting variable to false to designate orbiting mode as off.
      self.mouseright = '0'
   def startPan(self):
      # This function puts the camera into panning mode.

self.panning=True
      # Sets the panning variable to true to designate second panning condition as on.
      self.mouseleft = '1'
   def stopPan(self):
      # This function puts the camera into panning mode.

self.panning=False
      # Sets the panning variable to false to designate second panning condition as off.
      self.mouseleft = '0'             

def adjustCamDist(self,distFactor):
      # This function increases or decreases the distance between the camera and the target position to simulate zooming in and out.
      # The distFactor input controls the amount of camera movement.
         # For example, inputing 0.9 will set the camera to 90% of it's previous distance.

self.camDist=self.camDist*distFactor
      # Sets the new distance into self.camDist.

# Calls turnCameraAroundPoint with 0s for the rotation to reset the camera to the new position.

def camMoveTask(self,task):
      # This task is the camera handler's work house. It's set to be called every frame and will control both orbiting and panning the camera.

if base.mouseWatcherNode.hasMouse():
         # We're going to use the mouse, so we have to maqke sure it's in the game window. If it's not and we try to use it, we'll get
         # a crash error.

mpos = base.mouseWatcherNode.getMouse()
         # Gets the mouse position
         #++++Brauch maus pos auch fuer picken der Baelle
         self.mousepos=base.mouseWatcherNode.getMouse()

if self.orbiting:
         # Checks to see if the camera is in orbiting mode. Orbiting mode overrides panning, because it would be problematic if, while
         # orbiting the camera the mouse came close to the screen edge and started panning the camera at the same time.

self.turnCameraAroundPoint((self.mx-mpos.getX())*100,(self.my-mpos.getY())*100)       
            # calculates new values for camera rotation based on the change in mouse position. mx and my are used here as the old
            # mouse position.

else:
         # If the camera isn't in orbiting mode, we check to see if the mouse is close enough to the edge of the screen to start panning

moveY=False
            moveX=False
            moveZ=False

# these two booleans are used to denote if the camera needs to pan. X and Y refer to the mouse position that causes the
            # panning. X is the left or right edge of the screen, Y is the top or bottom.

if self.my > (1 - self.panZoneSize):
               angleradiansX1 = base.camera.getH() * (math.pi / 180.0)
               panRate1 = (1 - self.my - self.panZoneSize) * (self.camDist / self.panRateDivisor)
               if self.ToggleZ == False:
                  moveY = True
                  moveZ = False
               else:
                  moveY = False
                  moveZ = True               
            if self.my < (-1 + self.panZoneSize):
               angleradiansX1 = base.camera.getH() * (math.pi / 180.0)+math.pi
               panRate1 = (1 + self.my - self.panZoneSize)*(self.camDist / self.panRateDivisor)
                  moveY = True
                  moveZ = False
               else:
                  moveY = False
                  moveZ = True 
            if self.mx > (1 - self.panZoneSize):
               angleradiansX2 = base.camera.getH() * (math.pi / 180.0)+math.pi*0.5
               panRate2 = (1 - self.mx - self.panZoneSize) * (self.camDist / self.panRateDivisor)
               moveX = True
            if self.mx < (-1 + self.panZoneSize):
               angleradiansX2 = base.camera.getH() * (math.pi / 180.0)-math.pi*0.5
               panRate2 = (1 + self.mx - self.panZoneSize) * (self.camDist / self.panRateDivisor)
               moveX = True
            # These four blocks check to see if the mouse cursor is close enough to the edge of the screen to start panning and then
            # perform part of the math necessary to find the new camera position. Once again, the math is a bit above my head, so
            # I can't properly explain it. These blocks also set the move booleans to true so that the next lines will move the camera.           
            if moveY and self.panning:
               tempX = self.target.getX()+math.sin(angleradiansX1)*panRate1
               tempX = self.clamp(tempX, self.panLimitsX.getX(), self.panLimitsX.getY())
               self.target.setX(tempX)
               tempY = self.target.getY()-math.cos(angleradiansX1)*panRate1
               tempY = self.clamp(tempY, self.panLimitsY.getX(), self.panLimitsY.getY())
               self.target.setY(tempY)
            if moveX and self.panning:
               tempX = self.target.getX()-math.sin(angleradiansX2)*panRate2
               tempX = self.clamp(tempX, self.panLimitsX.getX(), self.panLimitsX.getY())
               self.target.setX(tempX)
               tempY = self.target.getY()+math.cos(angleradiansX2)*panRate2
               tempY = self.clamp(tempY, self.panLimitsY.getX(), self.panLimitsY.getY())
               self.target.setY(tempY)
            if moveZ and self.panning:
               tempZ = self.target.getZ()-math.cos(angleradiansX1)*panRate1

tempZ = self.clamp(tempZ, self.panLimitsZ.getX(), self.panLimitsZ.getY())
               self.target.setZ(tempZ)

# These two blocks finalize the math necessary to find the new camera position and apply the transformation to the
            # camera's TARGET. Then turnCameraAroundPoint is called with 0s for rotation, and it resets the camera position based
            # on the position of the target. The x and y values are clamped to the pan limits before they are applied.
         self.mx=mpos.getX()
         self.my=mpos.getY()
         # The old mouse positions are updated to the current mouse position as the final step.
      return task.cont
   def On_h(self):
      """ Reset Cam Pos"""
      base.camera.setPos(0,-250,66)
      base.camera.lookAt(0,0,0)  
      self.camDist = 258
      self.setTarget(0,0,0)

def On_q(self):
      """ Toggles Y-Movement to Z-Movement"""
         self.ToggleZ = True
      else:
         self.ToggleZ = False

def On_Control_g(self):
      self.camPos_g = base.camera.getPos()  
      self.camDist_g = self.camDist
      self.camTarget_g_x = self.target.getX()
      self.camTarget_g_y = self.target.getY()
      self.camTarget_g_z = self.target.getZ()

def On_g(self):
      base.camera.setPos(self.camPos_g)  
      self.camDist = self.camDist_g
      base.camera.lookAt(self.camTarget_g_x,self.camTarget_g_y,self.camTarget_g_z)
      self.setTarget(self.camTarget_g_x,self.camTarget_g_y,self.camTarget_g_z)

and a Testcase:

from direct.showbase.ShowBase import ShowBase
from CameraHandlerClass import CameraHandler

class MyApp(ShowBase):
    def __init__(self):
        ShowBase.__init__(self)
        self.disableMouse()
        self.camHandler = CameraHandler() 

self.environ = self.loader.loadModel("models/environment")
        self.environ.reparentTo(self.render)
        self.environ.setScale(0.25, 0.25, 0.25)
        self.environ.setPos(0, 0, 0)

empty = aspect2d.attachNewNode("empty")
        empty.setPos(-0.8, 0, -0.8)
        empty.setScale(0.04)
        self.axis = loader.loadModel("zup-axis")
        self.axis.reparentTo(empty)

self.axis.setCompass(camera)

#taskMgr.add(self.AxisTask,'AxisTask')

#def AxisTask(self,task):

#hpr = camera.getHpr()
        #self.axis.setHpr(-hpr[0],-hpr[1],-hpr[2]) 

#return task.cont

app = MyApp()
app.run()

So I learned quite a bit but the question is still unresolved.

any new ideas will be greatly appreciated.

THX
Martin

What result do they give that seems incorrect to you? You’re not being terribly specific. :confused:

(A quick test of the method that I suggested seemed to produce a result that seemed pretty much correct–although it was a quick-and-dirty test, and I may have misinterpreted my results.)

Taking a quick look at the code that you posted, it looks as though you’re asking the CompassEffect to produce a fixed rotation relative to the camera–don’t you want it to be relative to render (or some other scene root)? Looking at the documentation, it looks as though the NodePath that you supply as a parameter is the NodePath relative to which it should hold a fixed rotation.

Dear Thaumaturge,

I’ll try to get more specific:

The little Tripod in the cad Programs stays alligned to global coordinates when you pan,tilt or roll the view.

in the little Test script I set:

hpr = camera.getHpr()
    print hpr
    self.axis.setHpr(-hpr[0],-hpr[1],-hpr[2]) 

and start it:
We look at the grassy scenery with:
H = 0 p = -14.7 r = 0 ---------- Axis is correctly alligned

right mouse vertical downward drag:

H = 0  p = decreasing  r = 0   ---------- Axis is correctly alligned   until 
                   H = 0  p = -89             r = 0   ---------- Axis is correctly alligned 

now right mouse horizontal drag:

H in- or de-creases     r = 0   ----------Axis is rotating about its y Axis and not about its z-Axis

Another Test:

We look at the grassy scenery with:
                    H = 0  p = -14.7   r =  0       ---------- Axis is correctly alligned

right mouse horizontal drag:
H = 90 p = -14.7 r = 0 ----------Axis is off
right mouse vertical upward drag until p = 0
H = 90 p = 0 r = 0 ---------- Axis is correctly alligned
right mouse vertical drag:
H = 90 p decreases r = 0 ------------Axis is rotating about it’s x-Axis and not about it’s y-Axis

but that’s just describing the error and not a way to resolve it.

with setCompas() it’s simmilar but it rotates the other way round

Oops, you’re right. Simply flipping the euler angles doesn’t get you the rotation relative to the world. And my compass method has a similar problem. I think it would work if aspect2d used the camera’s coordinates but it uses render’s so setting the compass to render does nothing, and I don’t think there is any special node that is “render as seen from camera”.

Here is a solution using a task…

corner = aspect2d.attachNewNode("corner of screen")
corner.setPos(-0.8, 0, -0.8)
axis.setScale(0.04)
axis.reparentTo(corner)
def axisTask(task):
    axis.setQuat(render.getQuat(camera))
    return task.cont
taskMgr.add(axisTask, "axisTask")

render.getQuat(camera) gets render’s rotation, in quaternion form, as seen from camera.

I also got a version working with setCompass, but for it to work the corner node has to be attached to the camera in 3D space. I love eliminating a task, but don’t do this as you lose the resolution independent benefit of aspect2d. Just for show…

corner = camera.attachNewNode("corner of screen")
corner.setPos(-3, 10, -2)
axis.setDepthTest(False)
axis.setBin("fixed",0)
axis.setScale(0.08)
axis.reparentTo(corner)
axis.setCompass()

Kudos, Master Hollower!

Martin