(L)Ubuntu OpenAL doesnt work

i.imgur.com/PrzxfRS.jpg

Panda3D 1.9 for Trusty, running on LUbuntu 14.04 (same as Trusty with different desktop.

This doesn’t look like a Panda issue but an system set-up issue. I suggest googling for the ALSA “unable to open slave” error.

Do other applications that play sounds work successfully?

I don’t notice audio issues in other apps.

Error is also not present on my other PC with the same OS.

Hmm… I seem to have just discovered a similar error under Windows 10. The specifics of the output differ, but the initial error message seems to be the same, including the error code. Here is the output that I encountered:

AL lib: (EE) ALCmmdevPlayback_open: Device init failed: 0x80070490
:audio(error): OpenALAudioManager: alcOpenDevice(NULL): ALC couldn't
open device
:audio(error): OpenALAudioManager: No open device or context
:audio(error):   OpenALAudioManager is not valid, will use
NullAudioManager
AL lib: (EE) ALCmmdevPlayback_open: Device init failed: 0x80070490
:audio(error): OpenALAudioManager: alcOpenDevice(NULL): ALC couldn't
open device
:audio(error): OpenALAudioManager: No open device or context
:audio(error):   OpenALAudioManager is not valid, will use
NullAudioManager

Searching for the error turned up a number of references. A common thread seems to be OpenAL failing to find a usable output device, and the error disappearing when headphones or speakers are plugged in. The test-machine with which I was working was a laptop with built-in speakers, but it may well be that Windows wasn’t finding them, or that they’re somehow faulty. (I’m not in a good position to test this hypothesis at time of writing, but may do so later, if called for.)

That’s a very different error, since OpenAL uses a different type of back-end on Linux. Let’s try not to discuss multiple separate issues in the same thread; it gets confusing quickly.

I do suggest googling for “pcm_dmix” “unable to open slave” or “could not open playback device default” on Google, since this (sal’s) problem does not seem related to Panda3D. There are some threads turning up with suggestions.

Fair enough, and my apologies–I thought that it might have been the same, with the differences in output simply arising from the differences in back-ends.

(I don’t mean to open a thread for my error, since my research seems to indicate that it’s an issue on the computer’s side, not the program’s.)

Actually it might be the same issue. This is a single board PC with no speakers or headphones connected atm.

Update: no, speakers/headphones don’t matter. Probably some Linux setting which has to be changed from the command line again.

Update: I installed latest alsa(mixer), pulseaudio and pulseaudio GUI program, was a bit tricky as there were version incompatibilities.
Anyway, I have sound now, both from headphones and from HDMI speakers.
Quality was poor, but this fixed it: askubuntu.com/questions/405071/s … 534#542534

However, I have sound coming from every program I tried except Panda3D (OpenAL). And nothing gets written to the console, as if there is no issue.

Don’t know what to do now…

I’m not sure what to suggest. Perhaps there is an OpenAL Soft configuration file you can put somewhere to change the back-end or output device.

You could also try the FMOD back-end, if support for it has been compiled into your Panda3D installation, by setting “audio-library-name p3fmod_audio” in your /etc/Config.prc file.

I thought FMOD was Windows only. I could try that.

I’d ask this in a general Linux forum, but don’t know what to ask. OpenAL audio library issue?

Yes, Ubuntu version does not have FMOD. Even the Music Box sample program is edited so I’d guess every Linux version doesn’t.

The issue is OpenAL not outputting over HDMI. Builtin speakers work fine with Panda too.
I try changing the output to HDMI in the PulseAudio GUI app, but it refuses to change.
This should affect everyone running Ubuntu and HDMI monitor/tv.

There’s only one single solution mentioned on the internet:
askubuntu.com/questions/433459/ … dio-device
ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2146552

But adding

allow-moves = true

to ~/.alsoftrc and/or /etc/openal/alsoft.conf still doesn’t allow me to change Python.exe output to HDMI in PulseAudio. Doesn’t work…

Hmm, perhaps the command-line output will have some clues if you put “notify-level-audio debug” in the /etc/Config.prc file.

Otherwise, hmm, I’m not sure what else to suggest. You could try using a different Python audio library such as pyOpenAL to see if you can play sounds with that.

For some reason the issue has gotten away after installing alsamixergui.