Compiling 1.9.0: unresolvable reference to symbol Py...

Hello!

I am trying to compile from sources, but I am having some troubles. The command I am issuing is the following:

python makepanda/makepanda.py --everything --installer --no-egl --no-gles --no-gles2 --no-maya6 --no-maya65 --no-maya7 --no-maya8 --no-maya85 --no-maya2008 --no-maya2009 --no-maya2010 --no-maya2011 --no-maya2012 --no-maya2013 --no-max6 --no-max7 --no-max8 --no-max9 --no-max2009 --no-max2010 --no-max2011 --no-max2012 --no-fftw --no-fftw --threads=3 --outputdir ../Build/SDK

The result of that is the following series of warnings at the end of the compilation phase:

[ 97%] Compressing ../Build/SDK/models/zup-axis.egg.pz
../Build/SDK/models/zup-axis.egg.pz
[100%] Building installer
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: debian/panda3d1.9/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/panda3d/libp3rocket.so.1.9 contains an unresolvable reference to symbol PyGILState_Ensure: it's probably a plugin
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: 1 similar warning has been skipped (use -v to see it)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: debian/panda3d1.9/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/panda3d/libp3dtool.so contains an unresolvable reference to symbol PyList_GetItem: it's probably a plugin
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: 7 other similar warnings have been skipped (use -v to see them all)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: debian/panda3d1.9/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/panda3d/libp3dtoolconfig.so.1.9 contains an unresolvable reference to symbol PyErr_Occurred: it's probably a plugin
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: 39 other similar warnings have been skipped (use -v to see them all)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: debian/panda3d1.9/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/panda3d/libp3rocket.so contains an unresolvable reference to symbol PyGILState_Ensure: it's probably a plugin
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: 1 similar warning has been skipped (use -v to see it)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: debian/panda3d1.9/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/panda3d/libp3dtoolconfig.so contains an unresolvable reference to symbol PyErr_Occurred: it's probably a plugin
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: 39 other similar warnings have been skipped (use -v to see them all)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: debian/panda3d1.9/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/panda3d/libpanda.so contains an unresolvable reference to symbol PyExc_FutureWarning: it's probably a plugin
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: 18 other similar warnings have been skipped (use -v to see them all)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: debian/panda3d1.9/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/panda3d/libpanda.so.1.9 contains an unresolvable reference to symbol PySequence_Tuple: it's probably a plugin
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: 18 other similar warnings have been skipped (use -v to see them all)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: debian/panda3d1.9/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/panda3d/libp3direct.so contains an unresolvable reference to symbol PyString_AsStringAndSize: it's probably a plugin
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: 40 other similar warnings have been skipped (use -v to see them all)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: debian/panda3d1.9/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/panda3d/libp3dtool.so.1.9 contains an unresolvable reference to symbol PyUnicodeUCS4_AsWideChar: it's probably a plugin
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: 7 other similar warnings have been skipped (use -v to see them all)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: debian/panda3d1.9/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/panda3d/libp3direct.so.1.9 contains an unresolvable reference to symbol PyString_FromString: it's probably a plugin
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: 40 other similar warnings have been skipped (use -v to see them all)
dpkg-deb: building package `panda3d1.9' in `panda3d1.9_1.9.0_amd64.deb'.
Storing dependency cache.
Build successfully finished, elapsed time: 7 hours 53 min

Now the installer is produced but clearly something went wrong. In fact, if I insist in installing with
sudo dpkg --install panda3d1.9_1.9.0_amd64.deb, and then run one panda3d code I get:

$ python main.py 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "main.py", line 14, in <module>
    from pandac.PandaModules import WindowProperties
  File "/usr/share/panda3d/pandac/PandaModules.py", line 26, in <module>
    from panda3dVisionModules import *
  File "/usr/share/panda3d/pandac/panda3dVisionModules.py", line 3, in <module>
    from panda3d.vision import *
ImportError: /usr/local/lib/libp3vision.so.1.9: undefined symbol: _ZN10TypeHandle16dec_memory_usageENS_11MemoryClassEi

Does anybody have a clue of why I am having this problem?

Please note that I always had some trouble compiling from sources (these kind of warnings did appear the last time I compiled the dev version, which was January of this year, but I was able to launch the python code nonetheless).

Thanks in advance

Ode

The warnings are completely unrelated to the problems you are having with importing the panda3d modules.

The issue is that you have a conflicting build of Panda3D on your computer, presumably installed using installpanda rather than with the --installer option. You’ll have to remove at least /usr/local/lib/panda3d and /usr/local/share/panda3d , possibly also any panda3d binaries that were installed into /usr/local/bin .

Wow. Indeed I had a full set of libraries in /usr/local/lib, probably the remnants of my first trials. Everything works fine now. Thanks a lot!