Noob Wants 2 Build 1.3.2 w/VC8

I am highly interested in getting a working build of 1.3.2 and subsequent versions with Visual Studio .NET 2005. Before I bite off more than I can chew, is there anyone here that has succeeded in doing this? If so, was it difficult? What issues did you encounter?

Thanks,
Paul

PS: My objective is to get the build running for the purpose of replacing FMOD with OpenAL

I believe Josh has been making progress on this recently. I don’t know many details.

David

I compiled pview in release mode with VC8 without difficulty.

For example, the project was named Test1, but the source is pview.cxx
Additional include dirs in my computer :
“D:\Libs\Panda3D-1.3.2\include”;
“D:\Libs\Panda3D-1.3.2\thirdparty\win-python\include”;
“D:\Libs\Panda3D-1.3.2\thirdparty\win-libs-vc7\nspr\include”

Preprocessors definitions :
WIN32;NDEBUG;_CONSOLE;WIN32_VC

Additional library directories :
“D:\Libs\Panda3D-1.3.2\lib”;
“D:\Libs\Panda3D-1.3.2\thirdparty\win-libs-vc7\nspr\lib”;
“D:\Libs\Panda3D-1.3.2\thirdparty\win-python\libs”

Additional dependencies :
libpanda.lib libpandaexpress.lib libp3framework.lib libp3dtool.lib libp3dtoolconfig.lib

So the command line parameters for the compiler are :

/O2 /GL /I "D:\Libs\Panda3D-1.3.2\include" /I "D:\Libs\Panda3D-1.3.2\thirdparty\win-python\include" /I "D:\Libs\Panda3D-1.3.2\thirdparty\win-libs-vc7\nspr\include" /D "WIN32" /D "NDEBUG" /D "_CONSOLE" /D "WIN32_VC" /D "_UNICODE" /D "UNICODE" /FD /EHsc /MD /Fo"Release\\" /Fd"Release\vc80.pdb" /W3 /nologo /c /Wp64 /Zi /TP /errorReport:prompt

Linker :

/OUT:"D:\Libs\Panda3D-1.3.2\samples\Tst\Test1\Release\Test1.exe" /INCREMENTAL:NO /NOLOGO /LIBPATH:"D:\Libs\Panda3D-1.3.2\lib" /LIBPATH:"D:\Libs\Panda3D-1.3.2\thirdparty\win-libs-vc7\nspr\lib" /LIBPATH:"D:\Libs\Panda3D-1.3.2\thirdparty\win-python\libs" /MANIFEST /MANIFESTFILE:"Release\Test1.exe.intermediate.manifest" /DEBUG /PDB:"d:\Libs\Panda3D-1.3.2\samples\Tst\Test1\Release\Test1.pdb" /SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE /OPT:REF /OPT:ICF /LTCG /MACHINE:X86 /ERRORREPORT:PROMPT libpanda.lib libpandaexpress.lib libp3framework.lib libp3dtool.lib libp3dtoolconfig.lib  kernel32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib winspool.lib comdlg32.lib advapi32.lib shell32.lib ole32.lib oleaut32.lib uuid.lib odbc32.lib odbccp32.lib

I’ll try to make it work in debug mode, and then post a VC8 project file with relative paths.

That would be awesome, thanks!

I also created a debug version of the project that compiles, but i didn’t manage to run the debugger with it (unhandled exception).
Anyway, it runs in release mode :

tom.rethaller.free.fr/vrac/Forums/pview.zip

The project has to be unzipped to pandadir/samples for example : pandadir/samples/pview/pview.cpp

I have built a vs8 solution my self and I get

‘pview.exe’: Unloaded ‘C:\WINDOWS\system32\psapi.dll’
First-chance exception at 0x7c342eee in pview.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00133000.
Unhandled exception at 0x7c342eee in pview.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00133000.

I tried your version and I get the same. It is not specific to this machine and when doing a search on the net the error means I’m using vc7 lib’s. In this case that is true, but you say it runs?

after reading some of AzazelDev’s posts I don’t think there will be any hope… One thing is for sure his thread was very entertaining.

Have you seen this guide at the manual?:
http://www.panda3d.org/manual/index.php/Using_Microsoft_Visual_Studio

Yes I did. When finished the compile errors I get refers the the vc7 win libs. apparently i need the vc8 libs. But I cant find them.

I didn’t need specific VC8 libs, all that you have in the VC8 tutorial worked for pview on my computer.

It seems you have a runtime problem (a missing or wrong DLL), not a compilation problem haven’t you ?

My version is 8.0.50727

Well I decided to remove and reinstall and follow the tutorial again. I do get a lots of C4267 warnings. Although no errors. Then once built an instant exception. The doe window sys nothing.

debugger syas:

‘pview.exe’: Unloaded ‘C:\WINDOWS\system32\netapi32.dll’
‘pview.exe’: Unloaded ‘C:\WINDOWS\system32\psapi.dll’
First-chance exception at 0x7c342eee in pview.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00133000.
Unhandled exception at 0x7c342eee in pview.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00133000.

in iosfwd

Same on two systems unlike video cards. Any thoughts?

Do you compile in debug or release mode ?

debug.

Found the problem. the man page talked about the

WIN32;NDEBUG;_CONSOLE;WIN32_VC

But the downloaded project file didn’t d have this in it. When I replaced it it worked.

Okay, with the project I posted, I’m not sure if it really works in debug mode.
Anyway, it seems there is a compatibility issue with our VS8 versions.
With mine, preprocessor declarations are present

Thanks very much raytaller for the project / explanation!
I usually work at linux but my programs need to be able to run on windows too, right? :slight_smile:

I had the same error as ulao first, and hundreds of these errors:

warning C4267: 'return' : conversion from 'size_t' to 'int', possible loss of data

And a crash when running pview.exe.
But when I replaced _DEBUG with NDEBUG it worked fine :slight_smile: