compile panda for server use

Whats the best tips to compile panda3d in server mode (to use less memory and stuff)

I could probably do a way with all the third party pkgs and image loaders what else can be taken out?

This will be run on a server without any sort of xwindow or gui installed.

I think you could even compile it with --nothing --use-python, depending on what your server application uses.

that is what i did while its failing on the pzip tool now.

root@2awdev1:/p/panda3d# python makepanda/makepanda.py  --nothing --use-python                

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Makepanda Initial Status Report
Makepanda: Compiler: LINUX
Makepanda: Optimize: 3
Makepanda: Keep Pkg: PYTHON 
Makepanda: Omit Pkg: MAYA6 MAYA65 MAYA7 MAYA8 MAYA85 MAYA2008 MAX6 MAX7 MAX8 MAX9 DX8 DX9 ZLIB PNG JPEG TIFF VRPN FMOD FMODEX OPENAL NVIDIACG OPENSSL FREETYPE FFTW ARTOOLKIT DIRECTCAM FFMPEG PANDATOOL PANDAAPP 
Makepanda: Verbose vs. Quiet Level: 1
Makepanda: Don't generate API reference manual
Makepanda: Version ID: 1.5.2
Makepanda: Caution: the built/lib directory is not in LD_LIBRARY_PATH
Makepanda: or /etc/ld.so.conf.  You must add it before using panda.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Generating dependencies...
g++ -ftemplate-depth-30 -fPIC -c -o built/tmp/pzip_pzip.o -I"/usr/include/python2.5" -I"built/tmp" -I"built/include" -Ipanda/src/downloadertools -O2 panda/src/downloadertools/pzip.cxx
panda/src/downloadertools/pzip.cxx: In function 'bool do_compress(std::istream&, std::ostream&)':
panda/src/downloadertools/pzip.cxx:33: error: 'OCompressStream' was not declared in this scope
panda/src/downloadertools/pzip.cxx:33: error: expected `;' before 'compress'
panda/src/downloadertools/pzip.cxx:41: error: 'compress' was not declared in this scope
panda/src/downloadertools/pzip.cxx:45: error: 'compress' was not declared in this scope
Storing dependency cache.
Elapsed Time: 2 sec

Then you might need to also include --use-zlib :wink:
Sorry, I have no clue what packages are really necessary for compiling. I guess you just have to try it.

PS. If you want to exclude specific modules, comment them out in makepanda. Thats what I do too. Also, you can see in the makepanda source per package what 3rdparty lib it links to.