Using webcams / PIL

Hi there, I’m just starting to convert a program formerly just written in plain python/opengl over to panda3d and I’m trying to figure out a good way to use webcam images as textures.

In my previous app I used the python VideoCapture module to get Python Imaging Library (PIL) images and then converted them directly to textures. I’ve tried to do a similar thing in panda first using PNMImages setXelVal to convert a PIL image to a PNMImage then used that for the texture. This method was far too slow (2-3seconds/frame!), so I started poking around and playing with Texture.SetRamImage, but again copying from the pil image into the PTArray required by setramimage was far too slow (still 1-2secs)…

I used to be able to get multiple cameras giving 15+ frames/sec using the same pil calls. So is there a more direct way to get pixel data into a texture?? Is there a direct way to get pixel data out of a texture as well??

Also I’ve noticed there is a OpenCVTexture in panda which seems like it should let you use a webcam, but I haven’t for the life of me been able to figure it out. Any tips on using this?

You can use code like this:

tex = OpenCVTexture('myTexName')
tex.fromCamera()

to set up a texture from the default web cam, as seen by the open CV library.

Of course, you should also be able to copy the textures in one pixel at a time, via Texture::set_ram_image(), if you do it in C/C++ and not in Python–this is basically what the OpenCVTexture code is doing. Having Python touch each pixel is going to be far too expensive, though.

David

Thanks for the tips, I thought it shuld be something like that, but when I tried the following code, I just got a white sphere:

self.c = loader.loadModel("sphere")
    self.c.reparentTo(render)
    self.camtex = PandaModules.OpenCVTexture("cam1")
    self.camtex.fromCamera()
    self.c.setTexture(self.camtex, 1)

any thoughts?

In the past I haven’t had problems using tostring and fromstring in pil and pygame to pass back and forth webcame images at a decent rate…is there a way to write pixeldata in bulk to a PTAUchar? I’ve just been using the pushBack method, and I think that might be where a lot of my slowdown is coming from.
Cheers!

Hmm, yes, if we had a setString() or some similar method on PTAUchar, you could move the pixels through Python easily. That would be a useful addition. Sorry to say, it doesn’t exist yet in the current release of Panda. :frowning:

I’m also not sure why the OpenCVTexture is failing. I’ve never actually used the library to display a webcam image before, so I don’t know if there’s a problem in the code; but we’re following the advertised interface. I don’t know whether the guy who originally implemented OpenCVTexture ever saw it work with a webcam or not. But I do know it works just fine to play an .avi file, and it’s almost exactly the same interface. Do you get any error messages to the console? I suppose you can try different parameters to fromCamera(), e.g. fromCamera(0), fromCamera(1), to see if naming a specific webcam by index helps.

David

Aww, well hopefully in the next version :wink:

Yeah, it seems to be playing avis just fine (quite well in fact). I have an interactive interpreter hooked up to panda, and when I try fromCamera(0) it returns 1 and changes the sphere black. If I do fromCamera(1) nothing happens and it returns 0.

It’s strange, because it seems like fromCamera(0) almost works, but not quite.

That’s a shame… I guess I may have to hold off on the port for a bit…

Well thanks a lot for the help! Cheers!

Has some thing like “setString() or some similar method on PTAUchar” been implemented one and a half year later?

0xb731b7ac:2 <type 'libpandaexpress.PointerToArrayunsignedchar'> ['DtoolClassDict', 'DtoolGetSupperBase', 'PTAUchar', 'PointerToArrayBaseunsignedchar', 'PointerToBaseReferenceCountedVectorunsignedchar', 'PointerToVoid', '__class__', '__cmp__', '__delattr__', '__doc__', '__getattribute__', '__hash__', '__init__', '__new__', '__reduce__', '__reduce_ex__', '__repr__', '__setattr__', '__str__', 'clear', 'getData', 'getElement', 'getHash', 'getNodeRefCount', 'getRefCount', 'getSubdata', 'isNull', 'output', 'setData', 'setElement', 'setSubdata', 'size', 'this', 'this_metatype']

hmm dont look like it

Once again - my offer to help implement any small feature (this one would probably take 15 minutes, once you got panda compiling) still stands.

yes Josh Yelon, i only have one class today so if you log into the irc any time in the next 6 hours i will be there!

This turns out to be already there!

ram = pygame.image.tostring(pygame.display.get_surface(), "RGBA", True)
x = PTAUchar()
x.setData(ram)
self.pygametexture.setRamImage(x,MovieTexture.CMOff)

Just uploaded some code that can use WebcamVideo or OpenCVTexture to create a card…hopefully this
is useful to youze all. I know I have struggled with this problem over the years…looks pretty simple now. ;]

panda3d.org/forums/viewtopi … 42#p107542

I integrated OpenCV and Panda3D together and was able to set webcam video as a Panda3D texture with a normal frame rate. You can see my code in this Panda3D thread: Reading from Webcam to display as a background