Panda Installation error on OSX Snow Leopard

Hey, I recently downloaded version 1.7.2 of Panda3D,and it won’t run on my Mac, I keep getting this error message:

import direct.directbase.DirectStart
DirectStart: Starting the game.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "dstroot/pythoncode/Developer/Panda3D/lib/direct/directbase/DirectStart.py", line 3, in <module>
  File "dstroot/pythoncode/Developer/Panda3D/lib/direct/showbase/ShowBase.py", line 10, in <module>
  File "/Developer/Panda3D/lib/pandac/PandaModules.py", line 8, in <module>
    from libpandaModules import *
  File "/Developer/Panda3D/lib/pandac/libpandaModules.py", line 2, in <module>
    Dtool_PreloadDLL("libpanda")
  File "/Developer/Panda3D/lib/pandac/extension_native_helpers.py", line 79, in Dtool_PreloadDLL
    imp.load_dynamic(module, pathname)
ImportError: dlopen(/Developer/Panda3D/lib/libpanda.dylib, 2): Library not loaded: /usr/X11/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib
  Referenced from: /Developer/Panda3D/lib/libpanda.dylib
  Reason: image not found
>>> 

Help would be very much appreciated.
I’m running OSX 10.6, in 64bit mode and panda in python 2.6.
Thanks.
Milk.

Hmm, maybe you have to install X11?

Incidentally, the Panda build as provided here only runs in 32-bit mode, but you appear to be running in 32-bit anyway (or you wouldn’t have gotten this far, I think).

David

The Mac version is compiled against Python 2.5, though, so you’ll need to run it with “python2.5” (or “ppython”, which is a handy symlink to the right version). You should run Python in 32-bits mode.

I haven’t seen the freetype error before, though. Try installing X11 from the OSX installation medium, as David suggested.

Okay, Panda is running in 32 bit mode, will install X11 (since I did not install it)and get back with the results.

Okay, installing the X11 and Developer tools did not work.Now I have to deal with this message:

Last login: Wed Nov  9 15:35:32 on ttys001
cd '/Developer/Examples/Panda3D/Asteroids/' && '/usr/bin/pythonw'  '/Developer/Examples/Panda3D/Asteroids/Tut-Asteroids.py'  && echo Exit status: $? && exit 1
Muzamil-Shaheeds-MacBook:~ muzamilshaheed$ cd '/Developer/Examples/Panda3D/Asteroids/' && '/usr/bin/pythonw'  '/Developer/Examples/Panda3D/Asteroids/Tut-Asteroids.py'  && echo Exit status: $? && exit 1
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Developer/Examples/Panda3D/Asteroids/Tut-Asteroids.py", line 13, in <module>
    import direct.directbase.DirectStart
ImportError: No module named direct.directbase.DirectStart

So, what’s next?

You should run it with ppython or python2.5.

I have, I’ve downloaded and installed the CG toolkit, installed X11, run it in 32 bit mode. What now?
If there is anyone who has managed to run Panda successfully on a mac in Snow leopard, help please!

The command line that you’ve pasted above seems to show you running /usr/bin/pythonw. Use ppython or python2.5 instead.

David