i`m new

So i just started with Panda3d today and wanted to use my version of python(2.7.2) instead of the default. i looked at the documentation about how to do this but it gives me an error message when i try it out. i copied the panda*.pth into my version of python but when i go to import direct.showbase.ShowBase it gives me this error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\Nicholas\Documents\Panda3d test\first_test.py”, line 2, in
from direct.showbase.ShowBase import ShowBase
File “C:\Python27\direct\showbase\ShowBase.py”, line 10, in
from pandac.PandaModules import *
File “C:\Python27\pandac\PandaModules.py”, line 2, in
from libpandaexpressModules import *
File “C:\Python27\pandac\libpandaexpressModules.py”, line 1, in
from extension_native_helpers import *
File “C:\Python27\pandac\extension_native_helpers.py”, line 54, in
raise ImportError, message
ImportError: Cannot find libpandaexpress.dll

what do i do?

Unless you compile Panda yourself from source code, you will have to use the version of Python that is included with Panda.

well at least it is still version 2. so how do i use the panda version in an IDE? i use pyscripter and have no idea why it is not working. i tried the first example in the manual and it tells me there is no module named ShowBase. sorry for the noob questions.

I am not familiar with pyscripter. You could try searching the forum, or wait and see if someone else has some experience using it with Panda.

What i meant was what do i do so the error message does not pop-up so i can start using panda. and this no longer is a problem. now python can not find ShowBase.

i use python 2.7.2 panda 1.8.0 and windows. any help?

I’m having the same problem is there any solution to it?

Look at where python stores its libraries (for example, libpandaexpress.dll). Find the analogous location for the version of python you want to use, and copy them over. There might be more to it but you should be able to get it to work with some finagling.

When you have an error like this it’s a good idea to start by doing a google search for the error, in this case “Cannot find libpandaexpress.dll”. There’s already an answer to this question on the forums:
[Cannot find libpandaexpress.dll <- Simple solution(s))

If you have multiple versions of panda3d installed for testing you can create a few batch scripts which just set the PYTHONPATH appropriately before invoking python.

I’ve just updated this manual page to include adding the bin path to panda.pth: panda3d.org/manual/index.php … reparation