Cant run packp3d, Couldn't download import file

Hello,

When I try to use packp3d I have always de same problem, I check my proxy and added the Config.prc. I dont know what is the problem…

This is the output of a test:

C:\Panda3D-1.7.2\samples_py\Procedural-Cube>packp3d -o testapp.p3d -d C:\Panda3D-1.7.2\samples_py\Procedural-Cube
:downloader: [029145D0] begin GET [ runtime.panda3d.org/images/images.xml ]
:downloader: [029181D8] begin GET [ runtime.panda3d.org/panda3d/cmu_ … .win32.xml ]
:downloader: [0291A728] begin GET [ runtime.panda3d.org/egg/cmu_1.7/ … .win32.xml ]
:downloader: [029145D0] begin GET [ runtime.panda3d.org/panda3d/cmu_ … 32.mf.1.pz ]
Installing Panda3D rev 1
:downloader: [029261C8] begin GET [ runtime.panda3d.org/images/images.mf.1.pz ]
:downloader: [02974550] begin GET [ runtime.panda3d.org/egg/cmu_1.7/ … 32.mf.1.pz ]
Installing Panda3D egg loader rev 1
Install complete.
:stuck_out_tongue:ackageInfo: hash check ok: /c/Users/rpolar/AppData/Local/Panda3D/hosts/runtime.panda3d.org_0f5faf88846080ae/panda3d/cmu_1.7/mscoree.dll
:stuck_out_tongue:ackageInfo: Package panda3d uses 107 MB
:stuck_out_tongue:ackageInfo: Package egg uses 5 MB
:AppRunner: Total Panda3D disk space used: 112 MB
:AppRunner: Configured max usage is: 2048 MB
:AppRunner: Freshening runtime.panda3d.org/panda3d/cmu … import.xml
:downloader: GET [ [color=red]https://runtime.panda3d.org/panda3d/cmu_1.7/win32/panda3d.cmu_1.7.win32.import.xml ]
:downloader: Timeout connecting to runtime.panda3d.org:443 for runtime.panda3d.org/panda3d/cmu … 7.win32.im
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\buildslave\release_rtdist_win32\build\panda3d\built_cmu\direct\showbase\Messenger.py”, line 415, in __taskChainDispatch
File “C:\buildslave\release_rtdist_win32\build\panda3d\built_cmu\direct\showbase\Messenger.py”, line 473, in __dispatch
File “C:\buildslave\release_rtdist_win32\build\panda3d\built_cmu\direct\p3d\AppRunner.py”, line 745, in __startIfReady
File “VFSImporter”, line 153, in load_module
File “/Users/buildbot/slave/release_rtdist_osx/build/panda3d/built_cmu/direct/p3d/packp3d.py”, line 219, in
File “/Users/buildbot/slave/release_rtdist_osx/build/panda3d/built_cmu/direct/p3d/packp3d.py”, line 199, in makePackedApp
File “/Users/buildbot/slave/release_rtdist_osx/build/panda3d/built_cmu/direct/p3d/Packager.py”, line 3006, in do_require
File “/Users/buildbot/slave/release_rtdist_osx/build/panda3d/built_cmu/direct/p3d/Packager.py”, line 3032, in requirePackagesNamed
File “/Users/buildbot/slave/release_rtdist_osx/build/panda3d/built_cmu/direct/p3d/Packager.py”, line 2748, in findPackage
File “/Users/buildbot/slave/release_rtdist_osx/build/panda3d/built_cmu/direct/p3d/Packager.py”, line 2855, in __findPackageOnHost
File “C:\buildslave\release_rtdist_win32\build\panda3d\built_cmu\direct\directnotify\Notifier.py”, line 132, in error
StandardError: Couldn’t download import file.
:task(error): Exception occurred in PythonTask Messenger-default
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\buildslave\release_rtdist_win32\build\panda3d\built_cmu\direct\p3d\AppRunner.py”, line 636, in run
File “C:\buildslave\release_rtdist_win32\build\panda3d\built_cmu\direct\task\Task.py”, line 502, in run
File “C:\buildslave\release_rtdist_win32\build\panda3d\built_cmu\direct\task\Task.py”, line 460, in step
File “C:\buildslave\release_rtdist_win32\build\panda3d\built_cmu\direct\showbase\Messenger.py”, line 415, in __taskChainDispatch
File “C:\buildslave\release_rtdist_win32\build\panda3d\built_cmu\direct\showbase\Messenger.py”, line 473, in __dispatch
File “C:\buildslave\release_rtdist_win32\build\panda3d\built_cmu\direct\p3d\AppRunner.py”, line 745, in __startIfReady
File “VFSImporter”, line 153, in load_module
File “/Users/buildbot/slave/release_rtdist_osx/build/panda3d/built_cmu/direct/p3d/packp3d.py”, line 219, in
File “/Users/buildbot/slave/release_rtdist_osx/build/panda3d/built_cmu/direct/p3d/packp3d.py”, line 199, in makePackedApp
File “/Users/buildbot/slave/release_rtdist_osx/build/panda3d/built_cmu/direct/p3d/Packager.py”, line 3006, in do_require
File “/Users/buildbot/slave/release_rtdist_osx/build/panda3d/built_cmu/direct/p3d/Packager.py”, line 3032, in requirePackagesNamed
File “/Users/buildbot/slave/release_rtdist_osx/build/panda3d/built_cmu/direct/p3d/Packager.py”, line 2748, in findPackage
File “/Users/buildbot/slave/release_rtdist_osx/build/panda3d/built_cmu/direct/p3d/Packager.py”, line 2855, in __findPackageOnHost
File “C:\buildslave\release_rtdist_win32\build\panda3d\built_cmu\direct\directnotify\Notifier.py”, line 132, in error
StandardError: Couldn’t download import file.
Failure on startup.

Thank you in advance!

Panda isn’t able to read your IE proxy settings, so if your computer is behind a firewall that requires use of a proxy in order to communicate outwards (for instance on port 443), Panda will have difficulty getting its files, unless you configure a proxy explicitly–but this may be a bit tricky with the command-line tools.

I think the command-line tools will read the same Config.prc file as the SDK. Assuming you have the Panda3D SDK installed, you should have a Config.prc file in your c:\Panda3D-1.7.2\etc folder. Edit this file and add the line:

http-proxy your-proxy-host:8080

substituting the appropropriate hostname for your-proxy-host, and the appropriate port number for 8080, of course.

Another easy thing to do is simply to pre-download all of the required files via a browser. Open up Firefox or Chrome or any non-IE browser, and click on one of the “Online Demos” in the Gallery tab at the top of this page. Let the game download completely and start to play. Then try again to run your packp3d command.

David

Hi David,

I tried to set the Config.prc at C:\Panda3D-1.7.2\etc but it didn’t work, actually it reads the proxy from C:\Users<user>\AppData\Local\Panda3D\prc but it didn’t work neither. I dont get it, because it downloads actually some files from the panda server but when it tries to get GET [ runtime.panda3d.org/panda3d/cmu … import.xml and try to redownload and finish there for some reason.

If you have an idea, please let me know.
Thanks.

Ricardo.

That’s the first time it tries to download from an https port, which is port 443. So your firewall presumably allows direct connections over port 80 (the http port), but not over port 443. That’s a weird firewall, by the way; I would expect it to be the other way around.

The key question about the prc file is which file does panda3d.exe read for itself, and this depends on how it was compiled. I’m not sure how your panda3d.exe was compiled, but you can try setting the PANDA_PRC_DIR environment variable to C:\Panda3D-1.7.2\etc – it should read this environment variable.

David

If somebody have the same problem. I had to add the credentials for the proxy:

“http-proxy-username username:password” in the Config.prc

I got the same problem. Is any solution?