Panda3D, OSX, and non-Apple pythons

Hi, I’m new to Panda3D. Thanks in advance for your patience.

I need to get Panda3D working with a newer python than the one OSX ships with (2.5 as of OSX 10.8.3). Using the binary SDK installer I’ve gotten the runtime and the developer tools installed and running, but only with the stock Apple python. Using python 2.7 from MacPorts, running any of the examples gives:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "Tut-Carousel.py", line 18, in <module>
    import direct.directbase.DirectStart
ImportError: No module named direct.directbase.DirectStart

What’s the most expeditious way to get it working with a non-stock python?

You will need to grab the Panda source code and compile it yourself if you want Panda to work with your own version of Python. It isn’t difficult - be sure you grab the source archive that includes the thirdparty packages, uninstall your existing installation, cd to the panda3d directory in the terminal, and type this:

python2.7 makepanda/makepanda.py --everything --installer

Be sure to run with python2.7. You need a 32-bits build of python 2.7 since Panda does not support 64-bits Mac OS X as of 1.8.

If you wish, you can try this build I made a while ago, that includes 64-bits Mac support, and is built against the stock Python 2.7 (though it probably will work with any Python 2.7):
rdb.name/Panda3D-1.9.0.dmg

Thanks.

Any hints on how to get the build to work with MacPorts-installed libz, ODE, etc.? I can’t seem to get it to recognize libraries installed in /opt/local…

That .dmg works great, by the the way - very nice. Was it built with ODE etc support?

Sorry, it misses support for many thirdparty packages, since I haven’t been able to build many of them yet for 64-bit OS X. For instance, ffmpeg is missing. It should include ODE support though, and it is statically linked in.

It is compiled against system libz, you can’t make it work with other versions without rebuilding.

Hi,

I just tried that installer, but got this error from pview:

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/X11/lib/libpng15.15.dylib
  Referenced from: /Developer/Panda3D/lib/libpanda.1.9.dylib

Try installing X11 from the Mac OS X CD.