Is Panda3D 1.8.1 SDK for x86 or x64?

Hi,
I have downloaded Panda3D 1.8.1 SDK, and installed it on Windows 7 64 bit.
I want to know that is Panda3D 1.8.1 SDK for x86 or x64?
Thanks!

The Panda3D SDK is compiled as 32-bit. You can use it without problems on a 64-bit OS (I do). The only limitation (I think) is that you cannot use more than 3,5GB of ram or so within your application. But I don’t think you will get to that limit.

Tobias

Hi Tobias,
thanks for the reply.
Now I know that Panda3D 1.8.1 SDK is for x86 platform, thus one can’t create x64 applications using C++ based on Panda3D engine by Visual Studio 2010 :frowning:

Visual Studio should have no problem compiling for x86 on a x64 system. Keep in mind that you will need to recompile Panda3D from source (making some adjustments to the build system) if you want to use 2010 instead of 2008.

For the record, though, I’m personally compiling Panda3D using Visual Studio 2010 for x64 without any issues. You do need a set of x64 thirdparty packages to compile Panda for x64, though. I’ll upload the set that I’m using, although it’s not complete, among others ffmpeg and rocket are missing.
rdb.name/thirdparty-win-x64.7z
Extract that (using 7zip) into the regular thirdparty directory that you downloaded with the source code.

If all goes as planned, the 1.9 version of Panda3D will ship x64 builds with VS 2010 support by default.

Thanks for the information and supply the 3rd party packages for downloading!

Question: why ffmpeg and rocket are missing? Are they difficult to compile with VS 2010?

Is a roadmap for Panda3D 1.9 exist?

They are missing from the archive I sent you because I haven’t gotten around to compiling them yet.

There is no official roadmap for 1.9.

I noticed that it is for vs 2008 , may you supply one for vs 2010?
Thanks!

It says vc9, but I’m using them with vc10 without problems.

I have seen the “Panda3D Manual: How to build a CXX Panda3D game using Microsoft Visual Studio 2008” panda3d.org/manual/index.php … nguage=cxx

Why not add another page for Visual Studio 2010/2012 (Becuase Visual Studio 2008 compiled libraries are not compatible with Visual Studio 2010/2012)?

The page should probably be renamed as soon as 1.9.0 is released.

Addendum: I may not have been entirely right about the VC9 libraries being compatible with VC10. At first, it worked, but then I started running into a range of linker issues that were fixed by recompiling thirdparty packages one by one for VC10. I don’t know what’s going on, but it’s probably best to just recompile them when you start running into issues.
I’ll post an updated zip if and when I recompile all of the thirdparty packages.

I’ve recompiled almost all of the thirdparty packages for VC10. I have both x86 and x64 builds. I’m in the process of uploading them and will post them momentarily.

EDIT: see here:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16346