Installation on Fedora 6...

After reviewing some of the other postings about the Config.prc location, I felt certain that was my problem. First, the compiliation went well, after a brief hiccup over osmesa.h and finding an rpm. This is a non-standard build and install for my Linux desktop. When running a project from samples/ I get the following:

>> ppython GreetingCard.py
DirectStart: Starting the game.
Warning: unable to auto-locate config files in directory named by "<auto>etc".
Warning: DirectNotify: category 'Interval' already exists
Known pipe types:
(all display modules loaded.)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "GreetingCard.py", line 1, in ?
    import direct.directbase.DirectStart
  File ".../panda3d-1.3.2/built/direct/../../direct/src/directbase/DirectStart.py", line 4, in ?
    ShowBase.ShowBase()
  File ".../panda3d-1.3.2/built/direct/../../direct/src/showbase/ShowBase.py", line 195, in __init__
    self.openDefaultWindow()
  File ".../panda3d-1.3.2/built/direct/../../direct/src/showbase/ShowBase.py", line 545, in openDefaultWindow
    self.openMainWindow()
  File ".../panda3d-1.3.2/built/direct/../../direct/src/showbase/ShowBase.py", line 606, in openMainWindow
    self.openWindow(*args, **kw)
  File ".../panda3d-1.3.2/built/direct/../../direct/src/showbase/ShowBase.py", line 434, in openWindow
    self.makeDefaultPipe()
  File ".../panda3d-1.3.2/built/direct/../../direct/src/showbase/ShowBase.py", line 377, in makeDefaultPipe
    self.notify.error(
  File ".../panda3d-1.3.2/built/direct/../../direct/src/directnotify/Notifier.py", line 122, in error
    raise exception(errorString)
StandardError: No graphics pipe is available!
Your Config.prc file must name at least one valid panda display
library via load-display or aux-display.

The Config.prc is in …/built/etc and I set the $PRC_DIR appropriately. There is an entry

in the Config.prc file.

When I run pview, I get a window with the accompanying message:

I assume that this is still a problem with locating Config.prc, but I don’t understand why my initial setting is not working? Thanks for any help.

slothrop

try to set the $PRC_DIR environment variable to the path where the config.prc is located.

There is a file created in …/built/etc/Config.prc, when compiled. I did set the env var $PRC_DIR to the path …/built/etc/. Same results concerning the pipe types.

slothrop

Ehm. I see you have left everything in the /built/ dir, its more recommended to do something like this:
the contents of built/bin to /usr/bin
the contents of built/lib to /usr/lib
the contents of built/etc to /etc/
the contents of built/include to /usr/include/panda3d
and, ehrm. put the rest in /usr/share/panda3d
(if i didnt forget anything)
That works just fine for me.

seems as if the install script didn’t went through?

Just a guess, through… :frowning:

Regards, Bigfoot29

By the way. Panda3D has an RPM for Fedora 6! Why dont you try that? You can find it at the Software Downloads here at panda3d.org

Thanks, bigfoot29 and pro-rsoft, for the info. It verifies what I have felt about the process. I did not watch or collect all the output of the compilation; it might have terminated prematurely.

There is a slight complication. I am installing Panda on a desktop to run as a server, but I do not have admin status. I thought I would attempt to compile in $HOME and run from there. Not something I typically like to do, but I thought I would give it a try. But, I am going to ask our systems guys to use the rpm to install it in all the default locations.

Thanks, again.

slothrop

We installed the rpm for Fedora 6 and the test projects in /samples are working fine. Now onto running client-servers.

slothrop

I tried compiling panda myself once as non-root and the building was not completed. Only when I build it as root would the build process be completed. This was on FC5.
I don’t know if it is possible to indicate that panda should be installed in a different location than /usr/…