The Traveling Fox

Return to Showcase

The Traveling Fox

Postby wolf » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:28 am

Hey there,

today I released my game, The Traveling Fox. It's been in development for quite a while now and it was about time to get it out now.

The Traveling Fox is a modern story driven, cross platform, free and open source 3D platformer game where the player controls a fox wandering through differently themed worlds.

Note though, that this is the first version of this game and while fully playable and complete, there still is a lot of place for improvements. So if you enjoy playing this game, you might consider helping to get this game even better.

Trailer

https://vimeo.com/236279733

Get the game

You can find the game on my website over at:
http://grimfang-studio.org/games/theTravelingFox.html

as well as on
game jolt:
https://grimfang.gamejolt.io/the-traveling-fox

IndieDB:
http://www.indiedb.com/games/the-traveling-fox

and now also available on
Itch.io:
https://grimfang.itch.io/the-traveling-fox

The source code is hosted at Launchpad.net:
https://launchpad.net/thetravelingfox

Screenshots

Last edited by wolf on Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
wolf

Re: The Traveling Fox

Postby flavio » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:41 pm

Congratulations on the release! It seems a great first version!
flavio

Postby wolf » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:02 pm

Today I've released a small bugfix release which fixes at least one crash that happened when the graphics settings were set to high and 3rd person view was activated. This version may also enhance performance in some places.

Further work is going on for the games flow as well as enhanced graphics but more on that in a later release. Until then I'd be eager to get your feedback.
wolf

Postby flavio » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:43 pm

Hi! I've tried the new version, but I got this:

Code: Select all
$ ./thetravelingfox
:11-10-2017 18:20:26 ShowBase(warning): Unable to open 'onscreen' window.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "main.py", line 535, in <module>
  File "main.py", line 96, in __init__
  File "/home/fireclaw/Workspace/the-traveling-fox/the-traveling-fox-game/trunk/build/__whl_cache__/panda3d-1.10.0.dev1210+deployng.117-cp35-cp35m-manylinux1_x86_64.whl/direct/showbase/ShowBase.py", line 276, in __init__
  File "/home/fireclaw/Workspace/the-traveling-fox/the-traveling-fox-game/trunk/build/__whl_cache__/panda3d-1.10.0.dev1210+deployng.117-cp35-cp35m-manylinux1_x86_64.whl/direct/showbase/ShowBase.py", line 925, in openDefaultWindow
  File "/home/fireclaw/Workspace/the-traveling-fox/the-traveling-fox-game/trunk/build/__whl_cache__/panda3d-1.10.0.dev1210+deployng.117-cp35-cp35m-manylinux1_x86_64.whl/direct/showbase/ShowBase.py", line 961, in openMainWindow
  File "/home/fireclaw/Workspace/the-traveling-fox/the-traveling-fox-game/trunk/build/__whl_cache__/panda3d-1.10.0.dev1210+deployng.117-cp35-cp35m-manylinux1_x86_64.whl/direct/showbase/ShowBase.py", line 710, in openWindow
Exception: Could not open window.
flavio

Postby sazearte » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:39 am

the gameplay is very cool !

i report two small bug.
1) In first person camera when I jump on a wall I see through the map
2) When i use first annimation (jump or run), animlation loading and my character "freeze" during 1-2 seconds.
I suggest to preload in memory charactere animation when game loading.
sazearte

Postby wolf » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:30 pm

@flavio thanks for testing again. May you be able to check whether the source code version does work for you? Especially as this error comes at a very early state of the application start. Also check if there is a directory with logfiles in your home directory (~/Grimfang Studio/The Traveling Fox/) maybe they have some more useful information about what's going on. Maybe we could also chat on irc again to see if we can fix this.

@sazearte thank you too for testing and your feedback. Working on the first person camera is a thing I'll have to do for one of the upcoming versions as some people even mentioned they'll get motion sickness from it, so it definitely needs more fine tuning. The animation preloading is a good idea which I'll probably incorporate into the game, just need to look into how it's done.

as a sidenote for future bug reports, if possible it'll be better to use Launchpad for posting bugs as it's more easy for me to keep track on them and get notified earlier.
wolf

Postby flavio » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:49 am

wolf wrote:@flavio thanks for testing again. May you be able to check whether the source code version does work for you? Especially as this error comes at a very early state of the application start. Also check if there is a directory with logfiles in your home directory (~/Grimfang Studio/The Traveling Fox/) maybe they have some more useful information about what's going on. Maybe we could also chat on irc again to see if we can fix this.

Hi! The log contains only this:
Code: Select all
:11-10-2017 18:20:26 :display:x11display(error): Videocard has no supported display resolutions at specified res (3286 x 1080)

wolf wrote:as a sidenote for future bug reports, if possible it'll be better to use Launchpad for posting bugs as it's more easy for me to keep track on them and get notified earlier.

Sure, I'll do, thanks!
flavio

Postby jipete » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:22 am

@wolf ok thank for your answer.
I would use Launchpad next time :wink:
jipete

Return to Showcase