MV3D 0.75 released!

We are very happy to announce the release of version 0.75 of MV3D! This was mainly a bug-fixing release with more than 65 bugs squashed. Also, in this release, MV3D gained support for Linux and Mac OS X with the Panda3D renderer. This means that MV3D’s client, server, and tools are available on Windows, Linux, and OS X! With bug-fixes across the whole platform, this is also the most stable release of MV3D to date.

MV3D is an open source multiplayer game and virtual world framework written in Python. It encompasses a scalable server with dynamic load balancing, a robust set of content creation tools, and an extensible 3D client application. MV3D provides the foundation to build anything from 3d chat rooms to full MMORPGs with the goal of letting you concentrate on creating a unique virtual world instead of the infrastructure to support it.

For more information on MV3D and this or future releases, please visit the website. The full release notes for version 0.75 are available online as well. For further inquiries, feel free to stop by our IRC channel on irc.freenode.net #MV3D.

New screenshots on OS X and Linux:

The next release is 0.80 which is set to include features aimed at improving MV3D’s usability as a platform for traditional MMORPGs such as instancing along with increasing tool usability and functionality.

I currently do not have any project that would use MV3D, but I would be happy to test on linux if there is a demo I could run.

Awesome! I’ve been working on getting a p3d together that works on Linux. So far no luck (though I got side-tracked finishing up the release), but as soon as I do, I’ll post it here!

Thanks!

Mike

Wait, so you are having problems running MV3D in linux as a .p3d? If thats the case, I’ll try to compile it into a .p3d to help you out.

That would be really helpful! There’s mv3d.pdef: mv3d.com/trac/browser/trunk/bin/mv3d.pdef

It works fine in Windows. There’s a couple of hard coded paths on the top of the file that you may need to edit.

There’s also a page on how to get all MV3D’s prereqs and such on Linux as well:

mv3d.com/trac/wiki/LinuxClientInstall

Everything was just tested with Linux/Panda and it works just about as well as on Windows, but if you have any troubles, let me know!

Thanks!

Mike

I just updated the first post to reflect the most recent release. We could still use some help getting MV3D packaged up on Linux and OS X. Using Panda3D 1.8.0, it gets a bit further in the process, but there are still errors. I can post them here if anyone’s interested.

Thanks,

Mike

I found this in the manual - Configuring Panda:
“The other thing to keep in mind is that since Ogre and Panda use different formats for 3D models and materials, a world created for one will not work with the other. In the future, some asset types will be introduced that work on both, but those are not available yet.”
How to use Panda3D then?

Right now, if in order to use Panda for your world, you just use all 3D models in Panda format (egg or bam or whatnot). This means that everyone connecting to the world must be using Panda and not Ogre. The eventual plan is to make it it so that you can export models in both formats and have MV3D use the proper one for the renderer you selected, but that isn’t in yet.

Thanks,

Mike