NetRalph: Roaming Ralph goes networking

Hi all

If you want to see lil’ Ralph not only simply follow uneven terrain but rather do his thing in a multiplayer environment where you can actually watch other people walk Ralphie around too gosh, then go and have a look at http://anoria.org/?page_id=149.

Have fun!

Anorian.

Nice! Any chance of showing the source? I would find this very useful personally!

Yap, very nice, thank you for sharing!
kurohyou, there is a link to the sources on the blog:
github.com/anoriangit/NetRalph

This type of demo, along with the tutorial on your site, is what I am missing most when it comes to developing with Panda 3D.
Your work might just inspire me to come back to Panda and who knows, maybe this is my chance to get to know github as well, by making an attempt to continue development in a fork.
Either way, thanks for sharing and congrats!

Thanks for the kind words. Glad people seem to like it.
:slight_smile:

I’ve by now finalized the draft texts of the article series , so thats sort of completed.

A bit undecided where to go next as theres so many things to add. Maybe something easy like chat? Or something hard like walk meshes which would open the door to having pathing and bots and server side player position verfication? Not sure yet but I’ll surely add to NetRalph, so having a look from time to time should be worth your while.

Anorian

Is there anything in the manual which helps get you started with client/sever based apps?

I am interested in creating P3D apps which run over the net.

One of my friends who tried P3D before only said he found it difficult to code a client/sever using P3D.

I created a client/sever app before using a different engine in my past, but the APIs for that task were simplified.

My intuition is telling me… That won’t be the case with P3D.

thomaseg1.p3dp.com/samples/manag … xample.zip

that should get you started, i hope.

Well, thats what NetRalph is intended to be actually. An introduction to some of the principles used in client server network game systems.

The article series that walks you through the creation of NetRalph starts here: http://anoria.org/?page_id=20

I’m not using the inbuilt Panda3D network support at all though. NetRalph’s server is built on node.js while the client is vanilla Python networking (using asyncore).

Cheers
Anorian

Indeed, the networking part is the relevant part.
In regard to what’s next, I’d sure like to see how you would implement bots.
Keep up the good work.

Later edit:

• actually, if I think about it, the logical next step for a networking demo would be enabling the entities to interact. I’d say collisions first, then maybe projectiles of some sort.
    Updating the blog tutorial along the way would be simply Great!