Avolition Game - Full, Free, Open Source

Gamepaly Video:
youtube.com/watch?v=Uf4HEedji4U

Some Screens:

Git repo:
github.com/wezu/Avolition

The game is in the state where I left it… and that was some time ago. Not everything in this game is done right, but in general things work.

If you have questions - ask, I will answer what I can.
Don’t count on me making any upgrades, but if someone is willing to make patches I will accept them.

There’s a pdf manual somewhere in the repo.

Expect it to run slow the first time as it loads models from egg files, the second time things run without the jams.

There’s also a ‘level’ editor but it’s a bit… specific, it was used generate navigation meshes and it’s horrid to use :stuck_out_tongue:

Unless states otherwise all code is GPL (if you need to ‘borrow’ some code for anything commercial let me know, I can give another license free if I know where it will be used).

Have fun!

tl;dr:
ZIP DOWNLOAD LINK

1 Like

Looks amazing!

I played about 5 minutes and this game shows potential power of Panda3D.

One thing I want to know is how did you change your game window? how did you manage to remove close button and minimize button?

Use the Source Luke :]

I set the window properties to undecorated (but I’ve been told it bugs on mac osx).

This looks amazing but unfortunately on my machine I see only a mostly black screen.

Minor annoyance: I can’t resize/reposition the windows using mouse in the window manager, which is annoying with a auto-centered dualscreen setup but I can do it using wmctrl.

Can you tell me something about your os, hardware and p3d version?

On a dev build I just tried, there are some warnings with some shaders but it runs.

If you remove ‘setUndecorated(True)’ near the top of main.py and game.py then you’ll get the normal bars/icons and you can move and resize the window - but I’m not sure if resizing is safe, the gui may go wahoonie shape.

Not sure what happened but today all seems to be working fine. Well, except for this one crash after a while:

$ glc-capture -p -s python2 main.py 
DirectStart: Starting the game.
Known pipe types:
  glxGraphicsPipe
(all display modules loaded.)
No custom config file
22 : I'm lost!
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/qubodup/src/git/Avolition/engine.py", line 434, in runCollisions
    distance=self.waypoints_data[target][valid]
TypeError: list indices must be integers, not libpanda.NodePath
:task(error): Exception occurred in PythonTask collFor22
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "main.py", line 689, in <module>
    run()      
  File "/usr/share/panda3d/direct/showbase/ShowBase.py", line 2921, in run
    self.taskMgr.run()
  File "/usr/share/panda3d/direct/task/Task.py", line 502, in run
    self.step()
  File "/usr/share/panda3d/direct/task/Task.py", line 460, in step
    self.mgr.poll()
  File "/home/qubodup/src/git/Avolition/engine.py", line 434, in runCollisions
    distance=self.waypoints_data[target][valid]
TypeError: list indices must be integers, not libpanda.NodePath

Unfortunately audio doesn’t seem to work. (Arch Linux rolling release, neither ALSA nor PulseAudio, panda3d 1.8.1-2)

Video (not related to crash): youtu.be/zPlJ-ma32T0

what is the license on the art?

All of it is GPL, if that’s no good then I can share it as CC-BY, if you’ll tell me what you want to use it for :wink:

The music is by Matthew Pablo, you’d best contact him if you want to reuse that.

Just tried your levels in my pipeline, they look really cool imo! :slight_smile: Did you create them yourself?

looks really great, it reminds me of Diablo XD good old time :smiley:~~~

I did the levels myself… but they never looked that good. Nice.

Did you just load the model files or did you make the game run on your pipeline?

I tried both and got your game to run in my pipeline but there were some smaller issues which I didn’t fix yet.

I’ve been playing this game for a while, and I really like it. There’s a lot of things it does right. Especially the VFX are very convincing.

I think this could be a very interesting game if it were expanded more, particularly with making the levels less featureless (eg. debris, barrels, etc.), possibly adding more collectibles and player upgrades.

Very nice graphics!

Did you make those assets yourself or did you find them from somewhere? Are they also freely licensed?

Happy new year!

The screens Tobias posted are a bit misleading, my game never looked that good irl.

I did the models myself and as I already said in this topic they’re free, GPL but if anyone wants to use them in a closed source, commercial program I can give them away free on cc-by if asked and if I get to see how they are used.

BTW if you are looking for free panda-ready models then I have some more in my level editor on github

Thank you for your quick answer, even though it took so long for me to answer (I didn’t notice the “Notify me” checkbox last time)

Ah, okay. Impressive. The video too looked nice :slight_smile:

I’m developing my own FOSS multiplayer arena game called Arkhados on (Java-based) jMonkeyEngine and I noticed a link here at OpenGameArt. Arkhados too is GPL-licensed, but I’d still like to have visual assets with CC-BY because otherwise I can’t record games and put them to Youtube / Vimeo because they don’t allow GPL-licensed videos.

If you want to see how I’d use the assets in my game, please take a look at my games website (especially the 0.5 trailer and media page):
triplesnail.github.io/Arkhados/

Do you have those assets in Blender format?

Well, you have my blessing and approval to use the assets for the Arkhados project on CC-BY, but unfortunately I’ve moved to a different machine and switched OS twice since I made these models, and they where lost somewhere on the way. All I have, I’ve put in the repo on github, you might need to switch to Panda3D to use these assets. The static models can probably be reclaimed by turning them from egg to some more common format (like obj) and then importing to Blender, but I think the animated characters are beyond redemption.

How unfortunate. Especially the Druid seemed very cool and useful for Arkhados. Perhaps there’s hope since pandatools contains many exporters from egg to something else. It seems though that I need to compile Panda myself to get certain tools (eggToDAE to name one) and I’m not sure if end result would work anyway. Maybe I’ll try that later :confused:

Thanks for your blessing though :slight_smile:

For what it’s worth, the eggToDAE you linked is an unfinished stub that is almost completely non-functional.

The only way I see that it might work with animations is the egg2x converter from the SDK and then importing it in Noesis ( richwhitehouse.com/index.php … ojects.php ). From there you have plenty of options, but for Blender import .dae is probably the best right now.