The Traveling Fox

Hey there,

today I released my game, The Traveling Fox. It’s been in development for quite a while now and it was about time to get it out now.

Description

The Traveling Fox is a modern story driven, cross platform, free and open source 3D platformer game where the player controls a fox wandering through differently themed worlds.

Note though, that this is the first version of this game and while fully playable and complete, there still is a lot of place for improvements. So if you enjoy playing this game, you might consider helping to get this game even better.

Trailer

Watch the trailer on Vimeo

Get the game

Official website

as well as on:

game jolt

IndieDB

itch.io

Sourcecode

We are hosting the sources at
Launchpad.net

Screenshots

Congratulations on the release! It seems a great first version!

Today I’ve released a small bugfix release which fixes at least one crash that happened when the graphics settings were set to high and 3rd person view was activated. This version may also enhance performance in some places.

Further work is going on for the games flow as well as enhanced graphics but more on that in a later release. Until then I’d be eager to get your feedback.

Hi! I’ve tried the new version, but I got this:

$ ./thetravelingfox 
:11-10-2017 18:20:26 ShowBase(warning): Unable to open 'onscreen' window.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "main.py", line 535, in <module>
  File "main.py", line 96, in __init__
  File "/home/fireclaw/Workspace/the-traveling-fox/the-traveling-fox-game/trunk/build/__whl_cache__/panda3d-1.10.0.dev1210+deployng.117-cp35-cp35m-manylinux1_x86_64.whl/direct/showbase/ShowBase.py", line 276, in __init__
  File "/home/fireclaw/Workspace/the-traveling-fox/the-traveling-fox-game/trunk/build/__whl_cache__/panda3d-1.10.0.dev1210+deployng.117-cp35-cp35m-manylinux1_x86_64.whl/direct/showbase/ShowBase.py", line 925, in openDefaultWindow
  File "/home/fireclaw/Workspace/the-traveling-fox/the-traveling-fox-game/trunk/build/__whl_cache__/panda3d-1.10.0.dev1210+deployng.117-cp35-cp35m-manylinux1_x86_64.whl/direct/showbase/ShowBase.py", line 961, in openMainWindow
  File "/home/fireclaw/Workspace/the-traveling-fox/the-traveling-fox-game/trunk/build/__whl_cache__/panda3d-1.10.0.dev1210+deployng.117-cp35-cp35m-manylinux1_x86_64.whl/direct/showbase/ShowBase.py", line 710, in openWindow
Exception: Could not open window.

the gameplay is very cool !

i report two small bug.

1. In first person camera when I jump on a wall I see through the map
  2. When i use first annimation (jump or run), animlation loading and my character “freeze” during 1-2 seconds.
    I suggest to preload in memory charactere animation when game loading.

@flavio thanks for testing again. May you be able to check whether the source code version does work for you? Especially as this error comes at a very early state of the application start. Also check if there is a directory with logfiles in your home directory (~/Grimfang Studio/The Traveling Fox/) maybe they have some more useful information about what’s going on. Maybe we could also chat on irc again to see if we can fix this.

@sazearte thank you too for testing and your feedback. Working on the first person camera is a thing I’ll have to do for one of the upcoming versions as some people even mentioned they’ll get motion sickness from it, so it definitely needs more fine tuning. The animation preloading is a good idea which I’ll probably incorporate into the game, just need to look into how it’s done.

as a sidenote for future bug reports, if possible it’ll be better to use Launchpad for posting bugs as it’s more easy for me to keep track on them and get notified earlier.

Hi! The log contains only this:

:11-10-2017 18:20:26 :display:x11display(error): Videocard has no supported display resolutions at specified res (3286 x 1080)

Sure, I’ll do, thanks!

@wolf ok thank for your answer.
I would use Launchpad next time :wink:

It’s been over two years now but it’s finally done. The new release of this game is out!

Many things have changed since then and a lot new features have been added and bugs fixed. Thanks to Panda3Ds new input system, the game has full support for gamepads and other game controllers. New video sequences have been added, some of the graphics enhanced and much more.
Just go and check it out for yourself.

Version 20.04 can be downloaded from the Ubuntu snap store, Itch and GameJolt.

5 Likes

Hello, wolf. Unfortunately, the game is unplayable for me. The mouse cursor constantly moves up, no matter what screen resolution and window size. This happens both in menus and in game itself.
I remember playing earlier version of Travelling Fox and this wasn’t an issue.

Hello @maxxim, this sounds like it could come from the gamepad mouse controlling code. Are there any gamepads or other input devices other than your mouse and keyboard attached to your PC? Also which OS are you using?

Ah, right, my gamepad is attached. Funny thing that I don’t use it at all and thus forget that it exists and may affect some games.

Unplugging the gamepad solved the problem. I am playing through the first level right now.

There are some camera and collision glitches that make the game less enjoyable than it could be :slightly_frowning_face: Unfortunately, I have no idea how ot program a better camera, so I won’t be able to give you any advice.

Here’s an example https://youtu.be/KTUmZYrmHdo (sorry for the bad quality, but you get the idea).

I haven’t got past the cardboard section yet.

The glitches are very strange, never had them in this location. Will take a closer look into that.
As for the camera, yes, most of it is due to the poor level design on those parts. I’m not yet entirely happy with the cardboard castle part, it’s a bit to narrow and unfinished. You could even unintentionally shortcut some parts like the one you stopped the video at. I do have plans to put this entire section in a sub-level of Paper planet, but postponed that for another release.
Anyways, thanks for letting me know and especially the video, it helps a lot.

P.S. if you need help with this part of the level, I could share some tricks or Playthrough videos of how it could be done.

you once published a code that contained a sample code for the fox gameplay.
I can’t find it anymore, can you send me the link? in advance thank you

@huitre39 the code for the character controller is available on launchpad: trunk : Code : Extended Character Controller

if you have anything to discuss about it you should head over to it’s official thread here:

I’ve already completed it, thanks. Though only 99 letters of 100. I guess I’ve just missed one.
P.S. Do you mind if I make my own fork of Travelling Fox? I want to try out some Panda 3D features on a ready game. Maybe this will turn out to be something useful even.

Good job on that. Maybe you missed one close to the start, there’s one that may be overlooked quite easy on the island after the first floating paper cloud jump.

I’d be glad to see others use and improve the game, that’s why I selected those permissive licenses. ^^

1 Like

Thanks, I’ve seen the license, but it’s always good to ask permission first.

Also I must say, the game suddenly acquires amazing old-school aesthetics if played in software mode and 640x480 resolution!

Too bad the software renderer is not very optimized and some of the textures are missing. Don’t want to criticize your taste, but the combination of (what seems to be) vertex-lit, lowpoly models with MSAA and DOF effects looks strange to me.

P.S. some screenshots for the people who didn’t play the game (with software renderer)

1 Like

Yeah, I do like this old-school style. If you switch to it, it should disable MSAA though and as for the DOF and other shading, it should be disabled also but I’m not 100% sure if or how I did it for all of them, could possibly missed some.
The missing textures is probably a bug, haven’t run it with software shader in a long time. Need to test it myself and if I can reproduce it, I’ll try to fix it.
Thanks for posting it and the screenshots. Should add some current ones with the normal renderer here too.