PortalNode optimisation techneque

I merely color scaled the cell so that I could tell celles 1&2 apart. I’m not sure exactly what went wrong (I thought I did, but thinking back I’m not so sure…) But somehow the portal was looking back into the cell it was in.

I have discovered an interesting use for portals. I figured out that you can attach the portal to the camera, with enough room to not show the debug bounds. I’m using it in an FPS to transition from area to area which are set on separate NodePaths that aren’t in turn reparented to the same top node. So you can in a sense, create buffer zones that load the next area, and transition you when you cross a boundary.

The only major drawback is, the portal system seems to draw the portal relative to the global position of the mesh or cell or zone or whatever you’re using, so your levels hafto line up as if they were parented to the same nodePath. If you were careful in your construction in Blender or Maya, this shouldn’t be too much of a problem.

The other potential use is for a skybox, though again, that’s problematic if your character travels very far.