fbx2egg

It looks like I won’t be using any of the matrix in the fbx. Not sure anymore what they are - it looks like theres a ‘BindPose’ where the mesh is not transformed by the joints/bones and the bones/joints have some transform applied, something like the egg , but I’m not sure how that should work and anyway the matrix for this is only available for joints that do deform some mesh, so if you have a joint for props (swords, shields etc) it would probably end up at the characters feet.

I’ll try to use rotations and translations but I fear something will go wrong with them, a node that is not rotated at all in the modeling package ends up with some small rotation in the fbx file (looks random +/- 0-3 deg.)

But wait! I’m not posting just to cry about my problems with the converter, I need to ask something:
How do you use the " { degrees x y z }" tag in the egg format? I understand { degrees }, { degrees }, { degrees }, but I’d like to make the file a bit shorter… or is this for quaternions? Angle+ (normalized?) axis? Hmm…that would make sense actually.

And one more - the 3ds exporter and egg-* utilities like to add a comment to every vert that is used by some joint, like:

<Vertex> 18 {
        5 -5 5.57627e-019
        <UV> {
          0 0
          <Tangent> { 0 1 0 }
          <Binormal> { 0 0 1 }
        }
        <Normal> { 1 0 0 }
        // Bone001:1
      }

Has this any use?

And finally - Verts are grouped in the joint groups by membership value, so if I have 10k verts and each has a different membership value I’d need to make 10k ? Also do I risk anything else then a bloated file if I do put each vertex in it’s own VertexRef (even if there are multiple verts with the same weight)?