PandaSteer 2

Another update. The Panda3DProjects site where I put all my downloads seems to be down right now, so this download is on my own server: download.

Changes:

• I fixed a bug in the collision avoidance code. The characters thought they had radius 1, but it should be more like 3. They’re much better at not bumping into each other now, Collisions are pretty rare even in the very crowded demo.

• I merged ynjh_jo’s latest fix, preventing cracks from appearing in the terrain. If you run scene.py you’ll get a test scene that generates 4 terrain models with different hilliness values and chains them together into one terrain. There’s some very incomplete DirectGUI stuff thrown in for playing with the fog and lighting. There are no cracks in the models now. Thanks again ynjh_jo!

(P.S. to get the steering demo, run steer.py).

I feel obliged to point out again that this steering code is heavily derived from the C++ steering code of OpenSteer. A fair number of my functions, particularly with collision avoidance steering, are just translated from opensteer to python/panda and then tuned.

PandaSteer seems to be working pretty well now. The code still needs much cleaning up inside, and I’m sure there are bugs I’ve yet to find. There is the issue of the Character’s CollisionTube varying in length frame by frame depending on the Character’s speed, that should be possible with CollisionTube.setPointB but I haven’t got it right yet. That would be a good fix.

Enjoy!

ynjh_jo: the terrain looks different now with your fix. It’s made of pairs of triangles instead of rectangles, and so is shaded differently, which slightly spoils the blocky graphical style I was going for. Is it possible to build the terrain out of rectangles instead of triangles, and not get cracks? Or does your fix rely on changing to triangles instead of rectangles?