PandaSteer 2

Thanks a lot ynjh_jo, more fantastic work!

Okay, another update: download. (I’ve moved the download back onto panda3dprojects.com, which seems to be up and running again).

Merged the last three improvements from ynjh_jo, and a couple from me:

• Make the terrain out of rectangles again, not triangles, triangulation of polygons fixed in makeRectangle. Thanks ynjh_jo.

• Improvement to the animation of Ralph from ynjh_jo (see ynjh_jo’s explanation above).

• Fix for memory leak from ynjh_jo: Destroy CollisionSphere and CollisionTube of Character and CollisionSphere of Obstacle when destroying Characters and Obstacles. This code really belongs in the Character and Obstacle classes, not in the class that is using Character and Obstacle.

I’ve made some notes about refactoring the code and have a plan ready, there are many changes I want to make when I have time that will make the code much nicer on the inside, but nothing really major.

• Scaled the size of markers used to show characters’ targets, big enough to see but not so big as to get in the way as before
  • Fix wrapping of characters when they leave the terrain (it’s more accurate now)
  • I think I recently shrunk the radius of Character’s CollisionTube from 3 to 2.5 (making it fit Ralph more tightly). I don’t know why but this seemed to introduce a bug where, in the obstacle avoidance demos, characters would get stuck running round and round the largest obstacle, or even get inside the obstacle. So I changed the radius of the tube back to 3 again and this doesn’t happen.

I have to concentrate on some non-Panda3D work now, maybe for a month or two, so major updates might not be coming for a while, though I can still do minor fixes if people post them or point out bugs. I’ll definitelty continue to work on pandasteer full time soon.