PandaSteer 2

Great! I can’t wait to see it :slight_smile: My code is due for a refactoring, it will be much more clearly written when I have time to finish it up! Maybe you can implement some of the steering behaviours that I haven’t yet, such as path following, proper leader following and flocking (separation, alignment and cohesion).

Possibly. I’ll worry about that if and when I get performance issues. There’s no problem with 10 characters and half a dozen or so obstacles, as in the last demo in the current version, so that’s a good sign. I’m using Panda’s collision system to collide spheres into tubes, and spheres are the fastest type of collision solid, so I’m hopeful that it will be quite fast. And my experience with the collision ray used to keep my characters feet on the ground and the help I got with the efficiency of that from drwr and ynjh_jo (in this thread) tells me that the key efficiency concern with collisions is to make sure that each collision solid is only being tested against the collision solids it really needs to be tested against, and not a single one more. That and arranging the collision solids in an efficient way in the scene graph, like an octree.

But switching from tubes to rays might be an option for greater efficiency, yes, although I want to stick with tubes if at all possible because they are just perfect for the job. Another possibility would be to use planes, each tube would now be a cuboid represented by six collision planes, that might be fast.

Yeah, Panda doesn’t support using tubes as into objects, only as from, but spheres can be either from or into. So I know it’s a little counter-intuitive, but the tubes are the from objects because they have to be.

Any other questions about the code please feel free to ask!