fedora 11 and panda3d

Return to Installation

fedora 11 and panda3d

Postby tomkis_ » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:36 pm

Hi
Has anyone tried to install panda3d on fedora 11, I did try rpm for fc 10 ( as advised by pro-soft), dependencies failed also ca n't bulid t from src. Fc11 has got new compiler and it might be this issue. I need confirmation if it works, or this is related to panda3d ,or fedora 11, or....myself :oops:
on Ubuntu 9.04 I had some problems with graphic card, fc11 has newer kernel and as far works fine, but without panda fedora is useless.
tomkis_
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 9:35 am
Location: Newcastle UK

Postby ThomasEgi » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:33 pm

i doubt that fedora's compiler is too new. if there are any errors while compilng. just post your results on the "compiling or editing panda from source" board. panda definetly does run on fc11.maybe not ouf of the box, maybe requires a few tricks but it certainly is possible.
User avatar
ThomasEgi
 
Posts: 2149
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:43 am
Location: Germany,Koblenz

Postby rdb » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:10 am

Hmm, maybe the packages are named differently in Fedora 11.

You can try to download the .src RPM for fc10 and build it - or, download the source tar.gz of Panda3D and build an RPM yourself.
It's as easy as untarring the source, and then invoking:
Code: Select all
python makepanda/makepanda.py --everything --installer

That will, if it succeeds, generate an .rpm file which you can install.

(There are a few dependencies though. Copied from the specfile:)
Code: Select all
BuildRequires: python-devel bison flex libtiff-devel libpng-devel gtk2-devel openssl-devel gcc-c++ libstdc++-devel freetype2-devel
BuildRequires: libjpeg-devel mesa-libOSMesa-devel libXft-devel mesa-libGL-devel mesa-libGLU-devel
%ifarch x86_64 amd64 ppc64 s390x
BuildRequires: lib64jpeg62-devel lib64mesagl1-devel lib64mesaglu1-devel lib64openssl0.9.8-devel lib64ssh2-devel
%endif
%ifarch i386 i486 i586 i686
BuildRequires: libjpeg62-devel libmesagl1-devel libmesaglu1-devel libopenssl0.9.8-devel libssh2-devel
%endif



Or you can wait a few days until OBS finished adding Fedora 11 and an RPM will be made for you.
rdb
 
Posts: 9742
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:58 am
Location: Netherlands

Postby rdb » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:37 am

rdb
 
Posts: 9742
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:58 am
Location: Netherlands

Postby WWTLF » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:57 am

pro-rsoft wrote:For the record, theres are now a Fedora 11 repo for Panda:
http://www.panda3d.org/download.php?distro=fedora11
http://archive.panda3d.org/rpms/fedora11/


Is it some joke? There is no one packege for Fodora... All repos are EMPTY!
WWTLF
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:55 am
Location: Omsk, Russian Federation

Postby rdb » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:48 am

No, I had to shut them down because of legal issues.
Maybe someone around still has a copy, otherwise, you'll have to build it yourself.
rdb
 
Posts: 9742
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:58 am
Location: Netherlands

Postby WWTLF » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:51 pm

pro-rsoft wrote:No, I had to shut them down because of legal issues.
Maybe someone around still has a copy, otherwise, you'll have to build it yourself.


already done...
but before "make" should do "yum install mesa*"

and some bug with make install

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "makepanda/installpanda.py", line 86, in <module>
InstallPanda(destdir)
File "makepanda/installpanda.py", line 58, in InstallPanda
DeleteCVS(destdir)
File "/home/wwtlf/panda3d-1.6.2/makepanda/makepandacore.py", line 536, in DeleteCVS
for entry in os.listdir(dir):
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ''
WWTLF
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:55 am
Location: Omsk, Russian Federation

Postby scuac » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:23 pm

rdb wrote:Hmm, maybe the packages are named differently in Fedora 11.

You can try to download the .src RPM for fc10 and build it - or, download the source tar.gz of Panda3D and build an RPM yourself.
It's as easy as untarring the source, and then invoking:
Code: Select all
python makepanda/makepanda.py --everything --installer

That will, if it succeeds, generate an .rpm file which you can install.



hi, I just tried creating the RPM for Fedora 11 (downloaded the source from here). I tried the command above, and everything seems to have compiled correctly (except for some warnings saying that _XOPEN_SOURCE was redefined). But when it gets to the part where it is building the RPM it fails with the following error list:

Code: Select all
RPM build errors:
    File not found: /home/scuac/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/panda3d-1.6.2-1.x86_64/etc/Confauto.prc
    File not found: /home/scuac/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/panda3d-1.6.2-1.x86_64/etc/Config.prc
    File not found: /home/scuac/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/panda3d-1.6.2-1.x86_64/usr/share/panda3d
    File not found: /home/scuac/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/panda3d-1.6.2-1.x86_64/etc/ld.so.conf.d/panda3d.conf
    File not found: /home/scuac/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/panda3d-1.6.2-1.x86_64/usr/bin
    File not found: /home/scuac/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/panda3d-1.6.2-1.x86_64/usr/lib
    File not found: /home/scuac/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/panda3d-1.6.2-1.x86_64/usr/include/panda3d


I checked and /home/scuac/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT is empty. Should I put those files there myself from somewhere else?

Thanks
scuac
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:05 pm

Postby rdb » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:02 pm

Hm, that sounds troubling. How did you compile Panda3D? Did you build it via the source RPM, or by running makepanda with --everything --installer ?
rdb
 
Posts: 9742
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:58 am
Location: Netherlands

Postby skeptic » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:15 pm

rdb wrote:No, I had to shut them down because of legal issues.

?????
skeptic
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:00 pm

Postby scuac » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:14 pm

rdb wrote:Hm, that sounds troubling. How did you compile Panda3D? Did you build it via the source RPM, or by running makepanda with --everything --installer ?


I downloaded the 1.6.2 tar file for linux 64bit from panda3d.org and used the makepanda with --everything --installer command.
scuac
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:05 pm

Postby rdb » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:47 am

skeptic wrote:?????

http://en.opensuse.org/Application_Black_List
The restriction on ffmpeg use is a no-go for me.
rdb
 
Posts: 9742
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:58 am
Location: Netherlands

Postby rdb » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:52 am

scuac wrote:I downloaded the 1.6.2 tar file for linux 64bit from panda3d.org and used the makepanda with --everything --installer command.


Hm, I might get a chance to look at it later. For now, you can install Panda3D like this:
Code: Select all
python makepanda/installpanda.py --prefix /usr/local


That will install Panda3D under the /usr/local/ prefix. After calling that, you just need to invoke "sudo ldconfig" and you should be all set.
rdb
 
Posts: 9742
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:58 am
Location: Netherlands

RPM built but...

Postby scuac » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:37 am

Ok, after doing some reading on how rpmbuild works I got it to generate the RPM. I substituted the command that was being used

Code: Select all
rpmbuild --define '_rpmdir /home/scuac/Download/panda3d-1.6.2' -bb panda3d.spec


with

Code: Select all
rpmbuild --root /home/scuac/panda3d-1.6.2 --buildroot linuxroot -bb panda3d.spec


this generated the file
/home/scuac/rpmbuild/RPMS/x86_64/panda3d-1.6.2-1.x86_64.rpm
which is roughly 37MB in size

I then installed the RPM with no error message. The problem now is that when I try to execute a simple sample it crashes.

The sample file is test.py which contains
Code: Select all
import direct.directbase.DirectStart
run()


and the error I get is
Code: Select all
$ python test.py
DirectStart: Starting the game.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "test1.py", line 1, in <module>
    import direct.directbase.DirectStart
  File "/usr/share/panda3d/direct/directbase/DirectStart.py", line 3, in <module>
    from direct.showbase import ShowBase
  File "/usr/share/panda3d/direct/showbase/ShowBase.py", line 10, in <module>
    from pandac.PandaModules import *
  File "/usr/share/panda3d/pandac/PandaModules.py", line 1, in <module>
    from libpandaexpressModules import *
  File "/usr/share/panda3d/pandac/libpandaexpressModules.py", line 1, in <module>
    from extension_native_helpers import *
  File "/usr/share/panda3d/pandac/extension_native_helpers.py", line 75, in <module>
    Dtool_PreloadDLL("libpandaexpress")
  File "/usr/share/panda3d/pandac/extension_native_helpers.py", line 69, in Dtool_PreloadDLL
    raise ImportError, message
ImportError: DLL loader cannot find libpandaexpress.


Is this related to a malformed RPM or is something else going on here?
scuac
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:05 pm

Postby rdb » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:32 pm

A few checks to verify:
(1) Does the file /usr/lib/panda3d/libpandaexpress.so exist?
(2) Does the file /etc/ld.so.conf.d/panda3d.conf exist and contain the right path to the Panda3D libraries?
(3) Is the LD cache updated (e.g. does "sudo ldconfig" fix the problems)?
rdb
 
Posts: 9742
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:58 am
Location: Netherlands

Postby skeptic » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:51 pm

rdb wrote:
skeptic wrote:?????

http://en.opensuse.org/Application_Black_List
The restriction on ffmpeg use is a no-go for me.


If ffmpeg is a requirement but not included in your repo, isn't that ok? I haven't installed it, I'm waiting for 1.7 before I jump in, but if compiling from source wouldn't you need ffmpeg anyway?

I guess I'm confused what the legal issue is if your repo does not include ffmpeg but simply requires it the same as compiling from source. Or is the issue that panda3d is compiled using ffmpeg source files not separately installed libs/binaries?
skeptic
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:00 pm

Postby rdb » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:08 pm

We're linking to ffmpeg and including it's header files, so that means that the Panda3D library is a derivative work of ffmpeg.
rdb
 
Posts: 9742
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:58 am
Location: Netherlands

Postby skeptic » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:19 pm

rdb wrote:We're linking to ffmpeg and including it's header files, so that means that the Panda3D library is a derivative work of ffmpeg.

Ah, ok, makes sense.

It makes me wonder how this will affect any/all future binary distributions including windows and such, as well as commercial games. For example, what does Disney do?
skeptic
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:00 pm

Postby scuac » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:09 pm

rdb wrote:A few checks to verify:
(1) Does the file /usr/lib/panda3d/libpandaexpress.so exist?
(2) Does the file /etc/ld.so.conf.d/panda3d.conf exist and contain the right path to the Panda3D libraries?
(3) Is the LD cache updated (e.g. does "sudo ldconfig" fix the problems)?


(1) No.
(2) Yes, it exists. However it points to /usr/lib64/panda3d a folder that does not exist.
(3) Updated it. Does not help.


Well I think problem (1) pretty much says it all. I checked and libpandaexpress.so is nowhere to be found in either /usr/lib or /usr/lib64

I guess that RPM was not built correctly. I am going to uninstall it now, and try a make-install from source.
scuac
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:05 pm

Postby rdb » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:21 pm

skeptic wrote:It makes me wonder how this will affect any/all future binary distributions including windows and such, as well as commercial games. For example, what does Disney do?

Uh, you shouldn't worry about that, we're still going to ship the official releases with ffmpeg, just not through the OBS. I've already found a build farm service for ubuntu and opensuse that does allow use of ffmpeg.
The windows and mac releases are entirely unaffected by all this.

Disney VR Studio does not use ffmpeg, as far as I know.
rdb
 
Posts: 9742
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:58 am
Location: Netherlands

Postby skeptic » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:25 am

Ah, ok, thanks. I was just worried that binary installs may be going away.
skeptic
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:00 pm

Postby dreamer_ » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:14 pm

hmm; may I suggest submitting panda3d to http://rpmfusion.org/ ?
dreamer_
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:59 pm

Postby rdb » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:28 am

Now *that*'s what I was looking for. Awesome, thanks for the link! I'll look into it.

Sounds like it serves a similar purpose as packman, which I'm now using to host the openSUSE builds.
rdb
 
Posts: 9742
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:58 am
Location: Netherlands

Postby madbad » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:13 am

scuac wrote:hi, I just tried creating the RPM for Fedora 11 (downloaded the source from here). I tried the command above, and everything seems to have compiled correctly (except for some warnings saying that _XOPEN_SOURCE was redefined). But when it gets to the part where it is building the RPM it fails with the following error list:

Code: Select all
RPM build errors:
    File not found: /home/scuac/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/panda3d-1.6.2-1.x86_64/etc/Confauto.prc
    File not found: /home/scuac/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/panda3d-1.6.2-1.x86_64/etc/Config.prc
    File not found: /home/scuac/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/panda3d-1.6.2-1.x86_64/usr/share/panda3d
    File not found: /home/scuac/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/panda3d-1.6.2-1.x86_64/etc/ld.so.conf.d/panda3d.conf
    File not found: /home/scuac/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/panda3d-1.6.2-1.x86_64/usr/bin
    File not found: /home/scuac/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/panda3d-1.6.2-1.x86_64/usr/lib
    File not found: /home/scuac/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/panda3d-1.6.2-1.x86_64/usr/include/panda3d


I checked and /home/scuac/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT is empty. Should I put those files there myself from somewhere else?

Thanks

Same problem here under Ferdora 11 64bit

I've also tried to run the samples before installing as suggested into the readme (adding the foldet inyo my path) but with no luck
Code: Select all
[madbad@localhost Fireflies]$ echo $PATH
/usr/lib64/qt-3.3/bin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/lib64/ccache:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/home/madbad/bin:/home/madbad/bin:/home/madbad/Scrivania/panda3d-1.6.2/built/bin:/home/madbad/Scrivania/panda3d-1.6.2/built/bin:/home/madbad/Scrivania/panda3d-1.6.2/built:/home/madbad/Scrivania/panda3d-1.6.2


[madbad@localhost Fireflies]$ python ./Tut-Fireflies.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./Tut-Fireflies.py", line 6, in <module>
    import direct.directbase.DirectStart
ImportError: No module named direct.directbase.DirectStart
[madbad@localhost Fireflies]$

madbad
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:00 am

Attempt nr 2 - FAIL

Postby scuac » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:55 am

Hello,

here I am again, today I decided to give panda a second shot. This time I tried following the instructions in INSTALL-MK to the letter. So the first step was building the entire thing using the command:
Code: Select all
makepanda/makepanda.py --everything


everything seems to work fine, just as before (there is only some warnings about _XOPEN_SOURCE being redefined). The next step in the instructions is to test the build before installing, this is where things fail. I add built/bin to the path and built/lib to LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and test any sample program. I always get the same error (this e.g. for the Carousel sample):
Code: Select all
$ python Tut-Carousel.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "Tut-Carousel.py", line 18, in <module>
    import direct.directbase.DirectStart
ImportError: No module named direct.directbase.DirectStart


The error is the same for all samples. What am I missing?

BTW there is no ppython anywhere to be seen in my system. From what I saw around the forums it is not necessary for linux and I should be ok to use simply python, right?
scuac
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:05 pm

Postby rdb » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:13 pm

Hum, the instructions in INSTALL-MK are a bit outdated. You shouldn't put "built" anywhere in the system paths.

Instead, invoke makepanda with the --installer option. Alternatively, you can invoke installpanda (which works like "make install"):
Code: Select all
python makepanda/installpanda.py --prefix /usr/local


Then, invoke "ldconfig" as root and you should be all set.
rdb
 
Posts: 9742
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:58 am
Location: Netherlands

Postby scuac » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:18 pm

rdb wrote:Hum, the instructions in INSTALL-MK are a bit outdated. You shouldn't put "built" anywhere in the system paths.

Instead, invoke makepanda with the --installer option. Alternatively, you can invoke installpanda (which works like "make install"):
Code: Select all
python makepanda/installpanda.py --prefix /usr/local


Then, invoke "ldconfig" as root and you should be all set.



Ok, I will try that again. The last time around I tried using the --prefix part but I ended up with a weird directory structure, with stuff in places like:
/usr/local/usr/lib
/usr/local/usr/bin
etc...
and things did not work. It was a few weeks ago, but I will try again.

does the makepanda --installer need to be run as root?
scuac
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:05 pm

Postby scuac » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:23 pm

wow, ok, I got something new this time trying to generate the installer:
Code: Select all
$ makepanda/makepanda.py --installer
Storing dependency cache.
Elapsed Time: 0 sec
Cannot build installer without python


but python is there

Code: Select all
$ python
Python 2.6 (r26:66714, Jun  8 2009, 16:07:29)
[GCC 4.4.0 20090506 (Red Hat 4.4.0-4)] on linux2
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>>
scuac
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:05 pm

Postby madbad » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:15 pm

Just to make you know that I've been able to install Panda on Fedora 11 64bit.
Thats a sort of pro-noob guide (or at least that's what I've done) ^^
1) Check out svn
cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@panda3d.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/panda3d co panda3d


2) Build the source (from the main panda3d folder)
makepanda/makepanda.py --installer --everything

(this terminate with errors because of something wrong whit the rpm build process)

3) Generate myself the rpm
rpmbuild --root /home/madbad/Development/svn/panda/panda3d --buildroot linuxroot -bb panda3d.spec

The red part should be something different depending in wich directory you done the 1) step

4) Install the generated rpm
su root
Give your root password
yum localinstall /home/madbad/rpmbuild/RPMS/x86_64/panda3d-1.7.0-1.x86_64.rpm --nogpgcheck

The red part could be something different

5) Than you have panda installed but not working because he can't find the libraries (that's due to 64bit arch)

To resolve this there is something you must put into a panda config file
The file is:
/etc/Config.prc


you must add into it this line at the end of the file to tell panda where to find the libs

plugin-path /usr/lib64/panda3d


ps.: Sorry for my bad english.
madbad
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:00 am

Postby rdb » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:21 pm

I had no idea fixing the RPM issue was as simple as adding a --root argument to rpmbuild. Just checked in a fix for that to makepanda, so step 3 should no longer be necessary. (Can anyone test it for me?)
rdb
 
Posts: 9742
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:58 am
Location: Netherlands

Next

Return to Installation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest