Panda 3d, PYPE, NetBeans IDE 6.8 confusion

Complete newb here trying to get started.

I have installed Panda3d and all the samples work. Panda 3D is version 1.7.0. I have installed PYPE as well. PyPE is version 2.9

Its the NetBeans that is confusing me.
at the bottom of this like about IDE, I am completely lost.
panda3d.org/manual/index.php/G … nvironment

"Download NetBeans IDE and install it. Start NetBeans. Select ‘Tools’->‘Python platforms’. Under Platforms (at the left of the screen) select ‘New’ A new browser window pops up, asking for an executable. Browse to your panda folder, for example C:\Panda3D-1.6.2\python and select python.exe

Now you have created a new platform you can use.

Now, create a new empty Python project. Then, under Projects, right click your project and select ‘Properties’ Under ‘Categories’, select Python. At the right, ‘Python platform’-> select your new platform.

Now you should be ready to compile your panda examples. "
On this version, it never mentions Python nor has that option in its tools menu. Did I download the wrong one? What exact one should I get?

Open “Tools”->" Plugins" -> “Available Plugins”, then find and select Python, and Install it. You must click some times on the next(finish), after that netbeans will require a restart. Restart it and Python Platforms will be available in Tools.

Thanks, im stuck again.

I’ve done this:
"Download NetBeans IDE and install it. Start NetBeans. Select ‘Tools’->‘Python platforms’. Under Platforms (at the left of the screen) select ‘New’ A new browser window pops up, asking for an executable. Browse to your panda folder, for example C:\Panda3D-1.6.2\python and select python.exe

Now you have created a new platform you can use.

Now, create a new empty Python project."

my new project is called “NewPythonProject” But now I’m confused on this next part.

What do I do here?
"Then, under Projects, right click your project and select ‘Properties’ Under ‘Categories’, select Python. At the right, ‘Python platform’-> select your new platform.

Now you should be ready to compile your panda examples. "

What exactlly does Netbeean do?

Ok i found the property it was talking about. And it says “select your new platform.” I only have two option here.
Default was Jython 2.5.1
and Python 2.6.4. Do I just click the pyton one?

If you`ve done above steps correctly then … Yes.

p.s. While you create your New project, in the Section “Name and Location”, you can choose Python Platform -> Python 2.6.4(in your case). Then you don`t need to specify this again.
If you are interested - Open “Python platform” from “Tools” and select “Python 2.6.4”. Click on “Default” and all your new projects will use this “Platform” by default.

What exactly is the NetBean software for? Is it the only way to view my work in progress?

It is just one way to code your program. You can write code using Notepad, or any other text editor.

So I can write code in Pype or Netbean? What do I use to view the code in playable form?

My command prompt starts as this:
C:\users\Criston>
My mystuff folder is located in:
My Panda3d-1.7.0 and my stuff folder is located.

So if I want to run something, do I write:
C:\users\Criston>Panda3D-1.7.0\mystuff\myscript.py

???

I attempted to type a command prompt. And by the way I appreciate all the help, I’m REALLY wanting to get started, but seams like GETTING started might be the hardest part.
I typed this:
C:\Users\Criston>C:Panda3D-1.7.0\mystuff\myscript.py

And a small window popped up saying.

Windows cannot open this file:
File: Myscript.py
To open this file windows needs to know what program you want to use to open it. Windows can go online to look… blah blah
What do you want to do?
Use the web or select a program.

Does this mean i have something wrong?

It’s :
python yourScript.py

Anyway, if you found it hard to start up, try my IDE. Click my sig to find it.

Here my advice:

• Forget about all the IDEs.
  • Learn Python without Panda first and get to it first if you feel safe with Python’s basics.
  • For the beginning Notepad++ and a windows terminal is all IDE you need. Later it’s up to you if you need a more bloated editor.

You know, most IDEs are targeting experienced users who know what they need and who know what they do. If you’re new, you’ll spend more time learning how to use such an editor than on learning the language or coding.

Well, last night I managed to get it to work. So I’d say all my software is Nsync. I dod hte command prompt and it launched a window that was blank like it said it would. So I went on to tutorial of the rock in the grass stuff and it would only launch with a blank screen lol. I noticed my text don’t all light up with color like the example. i’ll post a picture of this. I’m going to study this as the site shows, when you say “study Pyphon only” I have no idea what that means to be honest. Total newb just looking at this as a hobby since I’m a hardcore gamer.

So the tutorials don’t work for you? The tutorials are fairly important to learn from.
Some python editors have a command line built into them, which is extremely useful since you don’t have to run a separate command prompt. But you can also just doubleclick your python file and run it with python.exe or whatever its called, but it doesn’t give an error log.

Not sure why this tutorial tries to show working with NetBeans AND PyPE. To get NetBeans working you have to install the Python plugin, which also installs Jython (a post above describes how to do that). Then you have to gut the plugin you just installed. In NetBeans click Tools->Python Platform (you may have to open a dummy New Project before this option appears). Then in the Platforms tab Remove the Jython platform and add the executable (python.exe as described in the tutorial) as a Platform. Then in the Python Path tab, either delete the NetBeans path, or at least push it to the bottom of the list. I can’t imagine that this path leads to the same version that Panda requires, and even if it does, you don’t want to point to two different Python installations. BTW, I’m a total newb to Panda and this is my first post, so if I lead anyone astray, at least my heart was in the right place.