Infinite Procedural Terrain Engine

For details about the engine, videos, screenshots, or a playable browser demo, see its new web page.

There’s a more complex terrain engine made by Craig here. It’s modular with its tile sources and renderers. It also has some great performance techniques. Unfortunately it doesn’t yet have anywhere near the visual quality of mine. We have actually discussed combining our efforts into one engine, but that process has just started. Perhaps I am just too much of a python and shader noob, but I find his engine very difficult to follow the structure and flow of. My project is I believe very straightforward. Anyways if you need a terrain engine I really recommend looking both over.

deleted

Progress is still continuing on the geomipmap terrain. I discovered that the normal data being recieved by the shader, while incorrect, is actually related to the correct values. By multiplying the x and y component of the normal by around -500 each I can get a very rough approximation of what the normal should be. Why this is necessary I have no idea.This has partially fixed terrain lighting and perhaps it will allow me to get my shader that textures based on slope partially working as well. Anyways I have a couple screenshots of the current state of the terrain for those interested.

http://stephenlujan.com/Panda3D/terrain1.jpg

http://stephenlujan.com/Panda3D/terrain2.jpg[/url]

Just a hint: I advise using texture filtering like mipmapping for your terrain textures, that will smooth out the pixely artifacts in the distance.

Thanks rdb. I completely forgot about that. I have newer screenshots now with better texture filtering.

i get very dark terrain, what might be wrong?

You’re using an old version of Panda3D, that doesn’t support custom parameters without the k_ prefix.

The .7z post/link works. But when I cloned via git… I get errors for missing files:

:grutil(error): No valid heightfield image has been set!
:grutil(error): Failed to load heightfield image heightmaps/ID123X0.0Y128.0.png!
tile generated at 0.0 128.0
:grutil(error): Failed to load heightfield image heightmaps/ID123X128.0Y0.0.png!

Cheers,
Gary

Thanks for mentioning my setup. Just to clarify, my terrain system includes 2 renderers for the same underlying tile based system. The geoclipmap based one is very unfinished, and the geomip one is just trivial and poor use of Panda’s existing terrain stuff as tiles.

The system has 2 parts, the renderer, and the tile source/bakery. The intention it to be able to use any renderer with any tile source. Currently there is only one tile source, and it is a very confusing, complicated and experimental one. As I’m a coder not an artist, I made the a tile source that procedurally generates terrain. As an experiment, I tried doing this fully on the GPU with a series of shaders (called maps) defined in a custom file format. It does work, but it has some huge performance issues (unnecessary copying of all intermediate steps to ram I believe). Regardless, its pretty quick, but horribly confusing and not very useful in practice.

With actual artist produced maps (or a decent map generator) and artist produced textures (ok, mine are from an artist, but they are for the wrong zoom level and taken from another project), and a decent renderer, it could be nice. Its missing a major feature: the ability to place meshes on the terrain, but its in the design, just not done.

As for passing params from vsahder to fshader, there is a comment here in my shader generator code that explains the issue (and there is code there that deals with it in the confusing context of my shader generator): https://github.com/Craig-Macomber/Panda3D-Shader-Generator/tree/master/shadereffects#L99

Edit: AnimateDream, is that project BSD licensed? AKA: can I use stuff from it, such as your shader and textures, and perhaps height map generator in my Terrain system which is BSD licensed? My terrain system would benefit from another tile source and another renderer (or an improvement to my geomip one). As my terrain system uses interchangeable tile sources and renderers, things get way more interesting when I have more than one of each that actually works.

Craig! Pleasure to see you’ve noticed my little tinker toy. It would be totally remiss of me not to mention any similar projects. Especially when my terrain engine is very immature. I just started the thread to provide some insight into how one might use panda3d’s technology to start creating their own terrain system, and when I inevitably did I just decided to dump it here too.

Your post actually clarified a lot of things for me. I’ll have to look over your code again with that in mind.

Ahhh. The whole project is pretty brilliant. I’m looking at your comment now and trying to digest it. This project is my first foray into shader languages, I wasn’t anticipating this kind of resistance. I expected it to be no more finicky than C. If I understand you correctly shader output and input parameters can get mismatched unless you use a semantic? I need to figure out how to use semantics on the arbitrary float values I’m passing between them then.

I’ve been putting off picking a license, but I want a generally unrestrictive one. BSD sounds good. The textures I used are not mine and there are a couple unused shaders written by others I used for reference. I obviously have to exclude those from the license.

Feel free to cannabalize any and all parts of this project. I’m a fan of collaboration. I really just want a terrain implementation in panda that can provide infinite procedural terrain. I’d rather teach my engine how to make good maps than have to make them all by hand.

My project is pretty straightforward to understand I hope, but in its current state its so slow its almost broken. It almost requires you rebuild panda3d with true threads instead of simple threads to avoid serious stalls while its building or updating terrain. I know what to do to fix the performance, I’m just too busy being baffled by simple shaders refusing to work for me.

Ah, performance issues. For panda’s geoMipTerrain, I gave up on updates, and just make it brute force. I use rather small tiles to reduce generation stalls, and I generate the height map data on the GPU in multiple passes spread over several frames. This spreading adds a lot of code complexity, but it well worth it. No threading :slight_smile:

I’m considering adding a third renderer to replace the geoMipTerrain based one with my own code so I can split the generation over a few frames, and optimize it for me usage. I’d do this in Cython for full compiled speed. I think there is a simpler height map class I should try first though.

The shader semantics tell the GPU which register to store the value in.
Ex:
float4 vTexCoords : TEXCOORD0;
float4 something : COLOR2;
just choose one, I usually use TEXCOORD# or COLOR# for random stuff.

Actually my system is setup to use either of two LOD techniques. Currently it uses brute force, but it still updates because tiles are loaded with a maxed out tile size, but nearby tiles have their tilesize set smaller which forces them to update. Using threading this doesn’t really create noticeable lag on my computer.

The initial tile generation is still a killer though. Its set to use small tiles and a task will load them up in another thread one at a time, but it doesn’t build them fast enough to let the player move very quickly without exposing unfinished terrain. Also it creates horrible stalls when there are a lot of tiles to build. I’m not sure yet why the threading isn’t solving that.

Panda’s whole heightmap image thing isn’t too practical for procedural terrain, but even when I cache the images on the drive and reuse them in subsequent runs it doesn’t seem to yield much of a performance gain. I would be happy to hear if you found an alternative.

Well i tried making them to uniforms and making my own semantics for them in panda and that apparently resulted in my fshader getting 0’s on all the values. I suppose I’ll pack them into some unused register… it just goes against all of my programmer instincts.

uniforms are uniform (meaning the same everywhere). Shader inputs for the model, from panda are uniform. Stuff thats per vertex can’t be.

Ah. I had wondered about their name. Anyways I’m following your suggestions but my fshader is getting correct brightness values, but not the height of the terrain. Oddly it used to get the correct terrain height before I started messing with the semantics. I’ll just post the whole shader here.
EDIT: updated code

struct vfconn
{
    float2 l_texcoord0 : TEXCOORD0;
    float2 l_texcoord3 : TEXCOORD3;
    float4 l_position  : POSITION;
    float2 l_slope_brightness: TEXCOORD2;
    float3 l_mpos;//      : FOG;
    //float3 l_normal;
};

vfconn vshader( in float4 vtx_position : POSITION,
	      in float3 vtx_normal : NORMAL,
              in float2 vtx_texcoord0 : TEXCOORD0,
              in float2 vtx_texcoord3 : TEXCOORD3,
              in uniform float4x4 mat_modelproj,
	      in uniform float4x4 trans_model_to_world,
	      in uniform float4 k_lightvec,
	      in uniform float4 k_lightcolor,
	      in uniform float4 k_ambientlight,
	      in uniform float4 k_tscale
          //out vfconn OUT
            )
{
    vfconn OUT;

OUT.l_position=mul(mat_modelproj,vtx_position);
    OUT.l_texcoord0=vtx_texcoord0*k_tscale;
    OUT.l_texcoord3=vtx_texcoord3;

// worldspace position, for clipping in the fragment shader
    OUT.l_mpos = mul(trans_model_to_world, vtx_position);

// lighting
    //WTF IS THIS NECESSARY
    vtx_normal.x *= -400;
    vtx_normal.y *= -400;
    //k_lightvec.z /= 400;
    float3 N = normalize( vtx_normal );
    float3 L = normalize( k_lightvec.xyz );

float3 UP = float3(0,0,1);
    OUT.l_slope_brightness.x = 1.0 - dot( N, UP );

OUT.l_slope_brightness.y = (max( dot( -N, L ), 0.0f )*k_lightcolor)+k_ambientlight;
    //OUT.l_normal = N;
    return OUT;
}

float calculateWeight( float value, float max, float min )
{
    if (value > max)
        return 0.0;
    if (value < min)
        return 0.0;

//return 1.0;

float weight = 0.0;

weight = value - min < max - value ?
             value - min : max - value;

//weight /= max - min;
    //weight *= weight;
    //weight = log2( weight );
    //weight = sqrt( weight );

weight+= 0.001;
    //weight = clamp(weight, 0.001, 1.0);
    return weight;
}

float calculateFinalWeight( float height, float slope, float4 limits )
{
    return calculateWeight(height, limits.x, limits.y)
           //* calculateWeight(0.4, limits.z, limits.a);
           * calculateWeight(slope, limits.z, limits.a);
}

void fshader( in  vfconn IN,
              in uniform float4 region1Limits : REGION1LIMITS,
              in uniform float4 region2Limits : REGION2LIMITS,
              in uniform float4 region3Limits : REGION3LIMITS,
              in uniform float4 region4Limits : REGION4LIMITS,
              in uniform float4 k_waterlevel  : WATERLEVEL,
              in uniform sampler2D region1ColorMap : TEXUNIT0,
              in uniform sampler2D region2ColorMap : TEXUNIT1,
              in uniform sampler2D region3ColorMap : TEXUNIT2,
              in uniform sampler2D region4ColorMap : TEXUNIT3,
              in uniform sampler2D detailTexture   : TEXUNIT4,
              out float4 o_color : COLOR )
{
    // clipping
    //if ( IN.l_mpos.z < k_waterlevel.z) discard;

//unpack some input
    // 0 = horizontal 1 = vertical 
    float slope = IN.l_slope_brightness.x; //0.45;
    float brightness = IN.l_slope_brightness.y;
    //float slope = abs( l_slope );
    //float3 vertical = normalize(float3(0.0, 0.0, 1.0));
    //float slope =  1 - abs( dot( normalize(IN.normal), vertical) );
    float height = IN.l_mpos.z;

vec4 weights = float4(0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0);
    vec4 terrainColor = float4(0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0);

weights.x = calculateFinalWeight(height, slope, region1Limits);
    weights.y = calculateFinalWeight(height, slope, region2Limits);
    weights.z = calculateFinalWeight(height, slope, region3Limits);
    weights.a = calculateFinalWeight(height, slope, region4Limits);

//--- Color terrain proportionately to weights
    float normalizer = (weights.x + weights.y + weights.z + weights.a + 0.000001);

if (weights.x)
        terrainColor += weights.x / normalizer * tex2D(region1ColorMap, IN.l_texcoord0);
    if (weights.y)
        terrainColor += weights.y / normalizer * tex2D(region2ColorMap, IN.l_texcoord0);
    if (weights.z)
        terrainColor += weights.z / normalizer * tex2D(region3ColorMap, IN.l_texcoord0);
    if (weights.a)
        terrainColor += weights.a / normalizer * tex2D(region4ColorMap, IN.l_texcoord0);

// detail texture
    float2 detailTexCoord= IN.l_texcoord0*8.0;
    terrainColor*= tex2D(detailTexture, detailTexCoord);
    // alpha splatting and lighting
    o_color=terrainColor*(brightness);
    //HDRL
    o_color = (o_color*o_color + o_color) / (o_color*o_color + o_color + float4(1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0));
    o_color.a=1.0;
}

Once this is working I’m certain my terrain will look great. I guess I’ve gotten ahead of myself in the shader learning process though.

Here is an example GC shader:
https://github.com/Craig-Macomber/Panda3D-Terrain-System/blob/master/geoClip.sha
A bit more complex on is here:
https://github.com/Craig-Macomber/Panda3D-Terrain-System/blob/master/geoClipGrass.sha

Those pass heights and normals from the vshader to the fshader.

You should only use standard semantics, and for uniforms that are given names via set shader input methods don’t need them.

Also, you don’t want to use if statements if you can avoid it. Conditionals are generally slow for shaders.

You might find the lerp function handy. I don’t see you using it anywhere, its the common way to smoothly interpolate between different colors/positions etc. http://http.developer.nvidia.com/CgTutorial/cg_tutorial_appendix_e.html )

I’ve never worked with structs in shaders. I never needed them, so I don’t really know how they work. Seemed like needless complexity to me.

I learned shaders mostly by guess and check. I know pretty much only one way to do them with a minimal feature set.

Thank you greatly for all of your suggestions Craig. I just chopped off the semantics for the world position and left it for the brightness and slope. Its ugly code, but it will do for now because the results are anything but ugly. :smiley:

Also my shader can blend together an unlimited number of textures at the same vertex now. I fear I wouldn’t figure out how to achieve the same effect using lerps.

Looks nice. You can blend unlimited textures using lerps. General approach is to start with a base texture, and lerp things into it one after another. This is equivalent to stacking alpha masked textures, and also lets you easily blend alpha masked textures (multiply the factor given to lerp by the alpha component). Its also possible to use the alpha to make different parts of the texture fad in first (so the grass blades are there or not rather than the texture fading in, or making nice transitions from scattered rocks to solidly rocky. Translucent rocks just look bad)

Anyway, looks quite nice. Well done.

I tried to run it today, and got this output:

CraigsBook:src craigmacomber$ python main.py
Hello World
DirectStart: Starting the game.
Known pipe types:
osxGraphicsPipe
(all display modules loaded.)
Sun Dec 12 18:46:11 CraigsBook.local Python[6505] : kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGSCopyRegion : Null pointer
Sun Dec 12 18:46:11 CraigsBook.local Python[6505] : kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
running from:/Users/craigmacomber/Desktop/Panda-3d-Procedural-Terrain-Engine/src
instancing world…
:pstats(warning): Ignoring spurious connection_reset() message
:gobj(error): shaders/stephen4.sha: invalid parameter name (uniform in float4 region1Limits)
:gobj(error): shaders/stephen4.sha: invalid parameter name (uniform in float4 region2Limits)
:gobj(error): shaders/stephen4.sha: invalid parameter name (uniform in float4 region3Limits)
:gobj(error): shaders/stephen4.sha: invalid parameter name (uniform in float4 region4Limits)
:gobj(error): shaders/stephen4.sha: invalid parameter name (uniform in sampler2d region1ColorMap)
:gobj(error): shaders/stephen4.sha: invalid parameter name (uniform in sampler2d region2ColorMap)
:gobj(error): shaders/stephen4.sha: invalid parameter name (uniform in sampler2d region3ColorMap)
:gobj(error): shaders/stephen4.sha: invalid parameter name (uniform in sampler2d region4ColorMap)
:gobj(error): shaders/stephen4.sha: invalid parameter name (uniform in sampler2d detailTexture)
:gobj(error): Shader encountered an error.
setting up water plane at z=60.0
:grutil(error): Failed to load heightfield image heightmaps/ID123X0.0Y0.0.png!
tile generated at 0.0 0.0

and no visible terrain (I suspect because the shader failed to load). I suspect part of the issue is my using panda 1.7.0 which does not have all the new shader param options.

As for the height map issue, I had to make a heightmaps folder. You should make the code create it (os.mkdir I think) of include it in the repo (you might need to put some dummy file in it).

Once I get the shader working (update panda), I’ll have some more feedback.

Edit:
I looked in terrain.py and say a loop. I changed it to this:

ys=self.image.getYSize()-1
        gh=self.terrain.getHeight
        sg=self.image.setGray
        yo= self.yOffset
        for x in range(self.image.getXSize()):
            xo=x + self.xOffset
            for y in range(ys+1):
                sg(x, ys-y, gh(xo, y + yo))

which cut the runtime of that code to about 66%. nothing special just localizing and avoiding some extra calls. I don’t really get what that code does, but faster is better right?

Sorry I built a custom panda out of the cvs to get true threads running.

I fixed this unintentionally actually. The program no longer caches heightmap images to disk. It was almost always a net loss for performance, and I haven’t gotten around to needing to add hand modifications to the procedural terrain.

Yikes. Thank you for pointing that out. I really hadn’t done much optimization work yet. Also I’m still used to c++ where the execution time wouldn’t be too noticeably effected by some of those changes. Sorry.

Also the code just builds an image for a geomipmap out of my basic height/noise function.

Anyways, I understand better some of panda3d’s geomipmaps functions and properties and corrected a few dumb mistakes. I also just committed my first comprehensive revision aimed at restructuring things for better performance. Its still too slow in my opinion, but its at least somewhat presentable now.

I still have some comments and refactoring to make it simple to grasp. Bear with me. Thank you for all of your help so far.

I already managed to copy out the water for my use, and I took your skybox too. When I’m done with finals with week, I’ll probably dig into your code again. Then I’ll look into your terrain shader and textures as they are much nicer than mine. Hopefully I can get my high performance system to look like your good looking one, then we all win :slight_smile:. Thanks for your work, and for freely sharing it!

I can merge several layers of perlin noise for a 515*512 texture in well under 0.01 seconds on the GPU, and thats were part of my performance comes from.

To make it run smoother, you can do one thing I did: I allow a few full speed frames to run between generating parts of the tiles. As full speed frames take drastically less time than ones bogged down generating terrain, you can have far higher frame rates with only a little slowdown in generation time. My app runs at about 30 fps while generating terrain (most of the load is making the GeoMipTerrain I think) before going to its regular idle 118 fps.

Just to give you a bit of insight into my plans, I intend to use my shader generator to inject rendering effects (like your nice terrain shader) into renderer specific templates (that handle placing the vertexes, computing slopes and such). Then it should be easy to swap both renderers, and terrain shading effects (perhaps in realtime). Its all about interchangeable parts.

I’ve done quite a bit of python optimization, so if you have questions, feel free to ask. Main issue in that case was python’s large dynamic dispatch overhead. Each variable access and “.” involves a dictionary lookup! Also, calls into panda are slow due to issues at the language barrier. (Not too slow, but a lot slower python-python calls). Cython can get around both those issues: http://www.panda3d.org/blog/?p=173

Edit: have some pictures: http://craig.p3dp.com/MiscPics/infinate/
This is starting to look ok, but it needs your better textures.