Infinite Procedural Terrain Engine

Craig! Pleasure to see you’ve noticed my little tinker toy. It would be totally remiss of me not to mention any similar projects. Especially when my terrain engine is very immature. I just started the thread to provide some insight into how one might use panda3d’s technology to start creating their own terrain system, and when I inevitably did I just decided to dump it here too.

Your post actually clarified a lot of things for me. I’ll have to look over your code again with that in mind.

Ahhh. The whole project is pretty brilliant. I’m looking at your comment now and trying to digest it. This project is my first foray into shader languages, I wasn’t anticipating this kind of resistance. I expected it to be no more finicky than C. If I understand you correctly shader output and input parameters can get mismatched unless you use a semantic? I need to figure out how to use semantics on the arbitrary float values I’m passing between them then.

I’ve been putting off picking a license, but I want a generally unrestrictive one. BSD sounds good. The textures I used are not mine and there are a couple unused shaders written by others I used for reference. I obviously have to exclude those from the license.

Feel free to cannabalize any and all parts of this project. I’m a fan of collaboration. I really just want a terrain implementation in panda that can provide infinite procedural terrain. I’d rather teach my engine how to make good maps than have to make them all by hand.

My project is pretty straightforward to understand I hope, but in its current state its so slow its almost broken. It almost requires you rebuild panda3d with true threads instead of simple threads to avoid serious stalls while its building or updating terrain. I know what to do to fix the performance, I’m just too busy being baffled by simple shaders refusing to work for me.