Infinite Procedural Terrain Engine

Heh… well the water shader and skybox come from the YARR demo mentioned in my first post, and the textures mostly came from google image search. The shader is mine though, and the math I used to generate realistic heightmaps is worth at least looking at.

Anyways, I’m definitely liking the improvements I see in your screenshots. I can hardly wait to see what it looks like with prettier textures and shader.

I’ve updated the shader in my project to process two different sets of height and slope boundries for the same rock texture. The code got uglier, but the results got prettier. Obviously my shader and its python counterpart need more flexibility so that this kind of thing doesn’t require hackish code. I’ll do a rewrite soon.
Edit: I’ve realized that the shader’s inability to store global variables means there is no way to make the shader more flexible without making it do possibly needless calculations on every pixel. The only good solution would be a shader generator like yours. Something much simpler would suffice for the purposes of customizing my terrain shader though.