ODE Middleware

I’m currently working on AI for my game. However, I’m not writing it from scratch, because it would be reinventing the wheel. Instead, I build it on top of modified versions of two awesome pieces of code – chombee’s PandaSteer2 and et1337’s pathfinding code written for his game “Stainless” (GPL2 and MIT licenses accordingly) – by integrating them with each other and with my code.

With these (and my humble KCC) you can deploy functional NPCs in no time. The biggest change I had to make was replacing the Panda’s internal collision detection with my ODE stuff in PandaSteer. Except for that it was mostly tweaking.

Generally, it works quite well already and I’d like to release it aside of my ODE framework, so you can just have basic NPC support OOTB (even though it’s not that much work, mostly a matter of integration). However, I don’t think I’ll find the time to do it anytime soon.

If I were to do it now (or, more realistically, soon), I would have to release it with no documentation, no comments, no sample and no subsequent releases until some time in the future. It would be just bare code. If you’re interested in such a “raw” deal, presumably as a starting point for your work, then no problem.