Missing 3rd party tools, makepanda build on Ubuntu

I downloaded the source package from https://www.panda3d.org/download.php?sdk&version=1.7.2, but when I run

makepanda/makepanda.py --everything
Generating library cache...
WARNING: Could not locate thirdparty package artoolkit, excluding from build
WARNING: Could not locate thirdparty package fcollada, excluding from build
WARNING: Could not locate thirdparty package ffmpeg, excluding from build
WARNING: Could not locate thirdparty package fftw, excluding from build
WARNING: Could not locate thirdparty package fmodex, excluding from build
WARNING: Could not locate thirdparty package gles, excluding from build
WARNING: Could not locate thirdparty package ode, excluding from build
WARNING: Could not locate thirdparty package opencv, excluding from build
WARNING: Could not locate thirdparty package squish, excluding from build
WARNING: Could not locate thirdparty package vrpn, excluding from build
Storing dependency cache.
Elapsed Time: 0 sec
Could not locate flex!
Build terminated.

it fails because it can’t find a few libraries. The makepanda manual says that the third party binaries are in the source package, but I don’t think they are actually there because I can’t find them and the source package as a whole seemed a little small (33MB) compared to the size of the “.deb” packages (55MB). Is there really a directory containing most of the 3rd party tools, or should I hunt them down individually? How are people currently using makepanda to build from scratch on a new system? Is there a list of dependencies somewhere? The manual doesn’t say much about compiling.
The only reason that I wanted to compile from source is because I like to refer to the source as I learn a new library, and I don’t want my copy of the source to get out of sync with the module that I import into my program.

Hi,

There are no thirdparty libraries bundled for Linux. You’ll need to install the relevant packages yourself. Run makepanda with --verbose, check what’s missing, and install the packages that you need to build with support for. The install the relevant -dev packages, like python-dev, libpng-dev etc.

Some thirdparty packages not in the Ubuntu repo can be found here:
launchpad.net/~panda3d/+archive/ppa

I’ve been finding a lot of the dependencies in Synaptic. I don’t have permission to follow the link you gave, is there a repository that I can add to my apt.sources? I’ll google the dependencies that I don’t recognise (fmodex was easy!), and exclude the virtual reality stuff. I guess this all just means that I have to understand Panda3D’s dependencies, that’s cool. I’ll be back if I can’t find or --no something, thanks for the quick reply!

Try the link now.

The link works, everything is compiling smoothly! I excluded the virtual reality stuff. Thanks!