Infinite Procedural Terrain Engine

They’re right its a bit unstable, and the new ability to split the threads DOES NOT work 4 me at all… just terminates itself at startup.

But now I successfully can run the earlier version of your slope shaders now, will be trying to integrate your renderer into Craig’s bakeries as I really like the way his code creates those mountains, Yes I decided NOT to trash over a year of study and effort quite yet, still cannot get ALL visible geometry respected by Panda as collideable.

I had fun before, trying to get Craig’s trees to accept alpha on leaf textures had to dig way down inside that code to find nice place to manually create the needed transparency attribute, suspect this will involve a similar “hands and knees crawl thru the ductwork”.

Wish I could fix this ATI so 64 bits for coordinates isn’t a total waste of half the space. I have supposedly recent drivers and DX 11 so I dunno, also wishing there was a better way to debug shaders as Panda’s “so called Graceful” behavior of not even giving a meaningful error message about why a shader fails is just awful, how does anybody even debug them??

I had decided to work on heightmap editing and adding database chunks for mesh placement and editor which is how I ended up in the debacle of how to make terrain collidable. I could restrict meshes to only EGG’s with the “Magick Tags” in them ( aka the polyset keep descend stuff ) but I also have need for procedurals for roads, rivers, railroads, etc.

What I had been planning was to associate a SQL Lite DB to each tile holding the meshes and edited terrain maps for a Sim City 4 style editor, that and click new location style avatar control both need clickable terrains to work otherwise stuck with a crummy outdated Alice99 style editor that just throws the mesh on the ground in front of you and you must move it manually with something akin to the old Dtools “placer panel”. I’d like for users to just be able to say select a pine tree and click click click the terrain where they want multiple instances, they can always go back for scales and rotates or I’d like to have a “randomize” option for multiple placements

Will re DL the newer ver to see if that now runs as well, wish there was better tech docs on ATI chips somewhere ( gamer’s sites say its braindead buy a new one, and ATI does the same extolling virtues of new cards but providing no useful tech docs on old P O S chip I can find anywhere. The 64 bit precision issue was big on these forums over a year ago, never found out if there was any resolution tho.

You and Craig bout the only ones not buying into the “ivy leaguer’s” rag on this guy till he gives up thing.