Infinite Procedural Terrain Engine

New ver of your terrain works well.

Also DRWR posted some useful info on how Panda really works internally re: 32 and 64 bits. Seems there aren’t really ANY true 64 bit GPU’s and Panda cuts things down to 32 bits internally, this answered my questions regarding wasted space, seems Panda does not store vertices and other data sent to the GPU as 64 bits and that length is only used by python for intermediate calculations. The whole 32/64 problem was just the FPU getting mis-set by the graphics driver causing precision problems in Python, first really good explanation I’ve heard. Still, I cannot run geometry shaders like Craig’s GEOCLIP grass on this thing but I CAN do my grass clumps like Demomaster does in his grass demo 3.

Your terrain baking and texturing system is a LOT easier to understand than Craig’s and will make what I’m trying to implement simpler, with multiple height level texturing and slope texturing that will allow me to do cliff faces and a nice shoreline for the waterplane. I had almost turned Craig’s code literally inside out so as to get a splash screen and GUI up first, I’ve got a somewhat stable three viewpoint orbitable camera and an avatar with overhead text labels. As soon as I rework and objectify my X input joystick and GUI code, I’m going to try integrating it into your framework and start the process of adding the SQL databases for mesh placements.

P.s. Do you know if anyone has a version of Psyco for Python 2.7 available, I use it heavily and miss it now that I’ve upgraded to Panda 1.8

Best regards from the “dirty old fox”.