Multisample Issues - Strange Behavior

I have one friend that is making a more commercial like game with P3D. He’s still working on the technical stuff and has not done any polishing of the game yet, but his fps is great.

I asked him how he did it and he said, his fps stays at 60 because he models all his characters any where between 1000 to 2000 vetices.

OMG… One of my characters makes almost three of his.

Is that even possible? I mean, his characters look great. Hard to imagine they are only 1 to 2 K vertices each.

I guess I have some super low polygon modeling skills to pick up. When thinking about it, I guess it is possible; given the fact bump mapped texturing will make the model look high level anyway, so it’s just a matter of giving your models a realistic, basic shaping and really creating larger faces to cover more 3D space.

I think I can do it. :smiley:

Even with that, I would say P3D is still only good for light weight games. Nothing majorly hardcore.

Texturing will be harder though because I can’t set texture stages for the individual objects that make up an entire actor (which are all exported to egg, together), without effecting the whole Actor.

In fact, individual object data is lost. Actor.getGeomData.ls() (or how ever the method is spelled) does not list any geometry data. Only other nodes that were attached like collision nodes and any bones that were exposed.

Anyway,

Two of my enemy actors on screen do not bother frame rate at all, so I’ll be able to convert the two Actors into five or six Actors by remodeling them with no more than 2k vertices max.

Here goes nothing…

Anyone tried LOTRO online? Really nice looking MMO.