eigen

I am comparing against my previous build from cvs, both of which I have disabled threading in.

I may not have waited long enough for my original memory measurement, the server seems to be using 0.9GB on the previous build now, so the increase to 1.2GB would be consistent with the 30% you are seeing. Actually now that I think about it that is a ton of memory for what is actually going on in the server so perhaps something for me to investigate there.

It seems to use a lot more memory when it has to cache EGG to BAM files and not release that memory. For example on the previous build (before eigen), first run of the client after clearing the BAM cache it is using almost 1.5GB, but after closing it and running again it is using only 0.8GB. It is likely that this is the real reason why it is hitting the 32 bit memory limit, and it’s just that this extra 30% on top of that has pushed it over the limit. Looks like the client at about 1.8GB when it crashes. If it was going to be taking up 1.5GB in the previous build, then that extra 30% would put it at about 2GB.

I can’t rely on a 64 bit build since end users may be running a 32 bit OS.