check_adler on Linux

Hi:

I’m trying to build on Kubuntu 11.10 and I get the following error.

panda/src/downloadertools/check_adler.cxx:24:3: error: ‘Filename’ was not declared in this scope

Not sure what is up, any insight would help.

Also used command:
$python makepanda/makepanda.py --everything --no-ffmpeg

since ffmpeg would gave me compile issues.

Hi,

I’ve just checked in a fix for that issue. It only shows up when trying to build without zlib support. It doesn’t occur often that someone wants a Panda build without zlib support, so that’s why we haven’t run into this issue before.

If you do want zlib support, then you should install the development package for zlib on your system (probably libz-dev or zlib1g-dev). You’ll probably want to make sure that you have most of the essential libraries for basic operations in Panda3D, such as libssl-dev, libjpeg-dev, libpng-dev, libmesa-gl1-dev, libopenal-dev, libfreetype-dev etc.

these should be all available packages in aptitude correct?

also I thought I was including zlib since I didn’t call --no-zlib?

Sure, I guess these packages are available in your favourite package manager.

If you read the makepanda output, it’ll say something at the top like “Could not find zlib library, excluding from build”.

I can’t get makepanda to find zlib in Ubuntu 11.10. I have zlib1g-dev installed. I had to patch makepanda.py to use pkg-config to find it, then it works.

Without zlib enabled, the build fails with:

panda/src/downloadertools/check_adler.cxx: In function 'int main(int, char**)':
panda/src/downloadertools/check_adler.cxx:26:34: error: 'check_adler' was not declared in this scope

Heres’ the patch:

RCS file: /cvsroot/panda3d/makepanda/makepanda.py,v
retrieving revision 1.508
diff -u -r1.508 makepanda.py
--- makepanda/makepanda.py	30 Mar 2012 16:46:05 -0000	1.508
+++ makepanda/makepanda.py	24 Apr 2012 19:25:13 -0000
@@ -654,7 +654,7 @@
     SmartPkgEnable("JPEG",      "",          ("jpeg"), "jpeglib.h")
     SmartPkgEnable("OPENSSL",   "openssl",   ("ssl", "crypto"), ("openssl/ssl.h", "openssl/crypto.h"))
     SmartPkgEnable("PNG",       "libpng",    ("png"), "png.h")
-    SmartPkgEnable("ZLIB",      "",          ("z"), "zlib.h")
+    SmartPkgEnable("ZLIB",      "zlib",      ("z"), "zlib.h")
     if (RTDIST and sys.platform == "darwin" and "PYTHONVERSION" in SDK):
         # Don't use the framework for the OSX rtdist build. I'm afraid it gives problems somewhere.
         SmartPkgEnable("PYTHON",    "", SDK["PYTHONVERSION"], (SDK["PYTHONVERSION"], SDK["PYTHONVERSION"] + "/Python.h"), tool = SDK["PYTHONVERSION"] + "-config")

Thanks very much! I’ve committed your change, it’ll be in the next Panda release.