Infinite Procedural Terrain Engine

Edit: D’oh! I only just realised that LGKitsune, who just replied, wasn’t the OP! Oops… Still, most of this still holds true.

Also, while I’m not familiar with that specific controller (and need to rush off to an appointment rather than googling it and getting distracted again ATM) my own plan is to target to a standard Playstation-style gamepad with kbd/mse as a fallback; controls being most similar to Kingdom Hearts or the Traveler’s Tales LEGO games.

That sounds great - and I can certainly understand being the only person on a project :wink: Just to complicate things even more, have you considered ways to scatter random settlements? (I’m going on about this because procedurally generated planets for an infinite game-universe feature heavily in the game design documents I’ve been working on sporadically for… good grief, over a decade now. And yet, I don’t have a better project name than Ninja Robot Space Fighter…) The procedure I’d come up with (no code involved, just the logic) was to have a base point be created at fairly rare intervals, that would then engage a seperate module from the base terrain generator to create a street grid, populate it with buildings and a few NPCs (shopkeeper NPCs being inside their instanced shops) and then find a 2d n-gon that describes the outlinbe of the settlement, find the mean altitude of all terrain geometry within that n-gon, and flatten it to that level, using a second border region with the same n-gon scaled 2x to transition from the values of the procedurally generated terrain and also to kill procedural plant and monster placement so there’s a clear zone around the settlement.

I also have a rather extensive flowchart for generating infinite sidequests for those NPCs, but it’s too complicated to remember off the top of my head and those game files are on a laptop I have to try to ressurect from CPU fan failure when the replacement arrives sometime next week. I shall be rather put out if the operation is not a success; that machine’s optical drive failed over a year ago so there’s no backup of a lot of the contents, including some of my best transforming mecha models.

To get back on the point, your generator seems to be focused on fairly mountainous/temperate-to-semitropical terrain right now. and setting it up to make sand dunes or arctic steppes would probably require considerably different settings to the algorithm. Genrating an earthlike planet, though, requires numerous different climate/terrain types and large patches that are just ocean, so I’m proposing a simple sphere-unwrap that would be a planetary-level overmap (which could also serve as the view from high altitude/orbit) which determines which set of regional terrain generation settings are used based on the pixel the generated ground-level terrain corresponds to. Experimenting with the procedure and shader settings to make different terrains to actually apply would be the challenge from there…

I’ve just started with Python, with 1/2/3/400 level C courses and intros to Java and FORTRAN now several years behind me, so I’ve got quite a ways to go before I’d be able to help in any meaningful way with coding. I’m primarily a 3d modeler, as well, with only a few forays into texture maps as far as working with surface materials is concerned - figuring out how to do environment mapped reflections in Blender was a big step forward recently. All the same, this and MV3D look like the the Panda projects most likely to be useful as the foundation for what I want to do, so as I (hopefully) get up to speed in the code-oriented aspects they’re what I’m likely to work from, and of course will return my tweaks to the community. My installation is v1.7.2 right now, though, so I guess I’ll have to upgrade - not being too confident in my coding I wanted to stick with the stable release.

• dNN, tends to run on a bit