Panda Bullet

The Panda3D Bullet module is a wrapper/integration for the C++ Bullet library. The classes provided by the Panda3D Bullet module “wrap” original Bullet classes. Therefor they need to know the original Bullet objects, and in order to compile you need the Bullet headers and libs. Ok, but I think you already know this.

1. Dependencies of Panda3D are located in a so-called “third-party” libs directory, which should be downloadable from the Panda3D download section (for Windows users). There are only a few exceptions, like the Platform SDK, DirectX or PhysX). Bullet headers and libs should be there too.

2. The latest Bullet SVN is not working - you need the right version of the Bullet headers and libs. Either from the third-party libs, or from Bullet SVN. I am using Bullet SVN r2476, and I think rdb has the same version on the Panda3D build machines.

A bit more information if you like to know: Bullet is an active project, and changes it’s API frequently. Keeping up-to-date would mean (1) a lot of work for us, and (2) possible changes to the Panda3D Bullet API if the Bullet API changes. This is not what we want, because people using Panda3D should have some consistenty of the API they depend on.

Our update plan look like this:

• Update to the latest Bullet SVN for each new “feature” release of Panda3D (1.8.0, 1.8.2, 1.8.4, 1.9, … you get the pattern - odd releases are mainly bugfix releases).
  • Update to the latest Bullet SVN if there are critical bugs which require a newer Bullet version for fixing.