Migration to Python 3

Hi rdb, I have a script ready that updates the panda python code base to be compatible with both python versions. I’ve tested the results against my 2.7 installation and have managed to get the most basic features working. However before I try any significant testing I wanted to confirm the plan with you.

The general consensus of the python community is that maintaining a codebase compatible with both versions is the most problematic / buggy solution. Maybe the user could select a version of python to use during the panda installation and the script could then update the code base if necessary. It wouldn’t need to worry about maintaining compatibility in this case which might be a more stable solution. I don’t know panda well enough to know if this is feasible but I thought I’d throw it out there. I have no preference either way, but just want to confirm with you because the first approach will take a lot more testing, though I’m confident it can be done.

Which leads into my next question: are there anything like unit tests available for panda? Or if not what would be the best approach to thoroughly testing functionality? There’s a lot of panda that I haven’t even gone near in my own personal use so I wouldn’t be the best person for final testing. If you want a copy let me know, you could maybe try it on your 3.3 (64bit) build. The script has an option to leave out the compatibility hacks and just update solely to python 3 so you would at least have a python 3 code base to test your build on.