Cartoon shader improvements

Ah, that soon!

At the moment I don’t have any more information, but I’ll return to this after I investigate a bit.

I’ve looked at the code and I think it shouldn’t be that hard to integrate. The tricky part is figuring out any interactions with other filters. But I can look at this some time in the near future, as this is a feature that I’d like to have.

Not yet. Reading the thread, it seems he was fairly liberal about it, but you’re right that we have to ask first. I’ll do that.

Ok.

In a way, it is indeed specific considering the spectrum of things a general 3D library can do, but on the other hand, I think modelling human characters is a fairly common task in game development.

Even in big-budget games, to my knowledge properly animated long hair seems to be a rather new phenomenon, and is still rather rare. Off the top of my head, I can think of Sophie’s ponytails from Tales of Graces f (2012), Esther’s braid from Ni no Kuni (2011/2013), and some of the hairstyles in LittleBigPlanet (both 1 (2008) and 2 (2011)), which is heavily physics-based, but that’s about it. Dragon’s Dogma (2012) tried with some shoulder-length hairstyles, but the simulation looked somehow off. If I recall correctly, the original Hitman’s tie was procedurally animated, but at that time (2000) the trend didn’t seem to catch on.

If the option to animate hair (pretty much) automatically is available, this gives greater freedom in character design, as the hairstyle question is no longer a question of a significant amount of additional programming.

So, that’s my reason for asking :slight_smile:

I’ll go ahead with implementing the C version for now.

Thanks for your input on all of the points!