CommonFilters - some new filters, and the future

I suppose that’s on par for the course when a large new release is coming up :slight_smile:

In the meantime, I can proceed with porting the filters (both the old and the new ones). I’ll post a new version on the weekend.

There are a couple of things for which specifically I’d like comments - since this subsystem is pretty big, it might be easier to spell them out here:

• Legacy API and new filters, and new options for old filters (CartoonInk)? Support them there (so that legacy scripts require only minimal changes to add support for new filters), or leave them as exclusive to the new API (from the user’s perspective, the new API allows even simplifying the calling code, since it is now possible to change parameter values selectively instead of always sending a christmas tree; but this is more work for the user)?
  • Should FilterManager be modified to support partial cleanups, or is the current solution (that almost always rebuilds the whole pipeline) actually simpler? I’d like to have a system that rebuilds only the changed parts - hierarchical change tracking is already there, so for most cases this would be simple if only FilterManager allowed it. (But there are exotic cases, e.g. changing VolumetricLighting’s “source” parameter, or toggling the depth-enabled flag of the new CartoonInk. These affect which textures are required - and if the scene texture or aux bits requirements change, then it’s off to a pipeline rebuild anyway, because FilterManager.renderSceneInto() must be re-applied with the changed options.)
  • I’m trying to keep this as hack-free as possible, but there are some borderline cases. I’d like to prioritize power and ease of use - but if you see something that looks like a hack and have an idea how to achieve the same thing cleanly, I’d like to know :slight_smile:

By the way, I got rid of the inspection logic in setFilter() - now the logic to apply recompiles only when necessary resides in the property setters, where I think it belongs. FilterPipeline still has a setFilter() that either adds or reconfigures a filter (depending on whether it already exists in the pipeline), but now its implementation is much simpler.

Ah, and for now, only one instance per filter type is supported in any given pipeline instance - supporting multiple instances of the same filter in the same pipeline is a bit tricky (details in the code comments and README; in short, this requires some kind of name mangling).