CommonFilters - some new filters, and the future

I think the idea of the CommonFilters system was very good - having certain postprocessing operations available that can be simply switched on and configured, in any combination. I find it similar in spirit to the main shader generator: 99% of the time, there is no need to write custom shaders.

The aim of the new FilterPipeline framework is something similar for postprocessing filters. What it adds to the postprocessing system is maintainability (keeping code complexity in check as more filters are added) and extensibility (so that people in the community can write their own filters that plug in to the pipeline). Also, the automatic render pass generator significantly extends the degree how well the different filters play together.

From a user perspective, the interesting part will be new filters. As the first step, I’ll be adding the ones I’ve already coded, i.e. desaturation, scanlines, and lens distortion.

I’ve also been eyeing ninth’s SSLR (local reflection) implementation, which is very cool (and he’s ok with including it to Panda). The latter may require changes to other parts of Panda to supply a fullscreen gloss map texture to the postprocessing subsystem, but it should be possible to do. We already have SSAO, so SSLR would be a nice addition to support more high-end visual effects out of the box :slight_smile:

I also bumped into an independent implementation of an early FXAA (Fast approximate antialiasing) version that was “feel free to use in your own projects” ( horde3d.org/wiki/index.php5?titl … que_-_FXAA ), so I think I’ll be adding that, too. The fshader is just a screenful of code, so it’s very simple. It would be a nice alternative for smoothing both light/dark transitions and object edges in cartoon-shaded scenes, as FXAA is basically an intelligent anisotropic blur filter. It may also be useful as a very cheap filter for general fullscreen antialiasing on low-end hardware.

There’s also SMAA (Enhanced subpixel morphological antialiasing), which is available under a free license, but its implementation is much more complex, and I haven’t yet investigated whether it’s possible to integrate into the new pipeline. See github.com/iryoku/smaa

I’d also very much like to add a depth-of-field (DoF) filter. While no perfect solution is possible using current hardware, the algorithm explained in GPU Gems 3 is pretty good for a relatively cheap realtime filter. See the article, which also contains a nice overview of possible techniques and references to papers discussing them: http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGem … _ch28.html

Then, there is something that could be improved in the existing filters - for example, I think blur would look more natural using a gaussian kernel. Also, it doesn’t yet use the hardware linear interpolation to save GPU cycles, so the current implementation is not optimally efficient. This was covered in a link posted earlier, rastergrid.com/blog/2010/09/effi … -sampling/

And further, the blur kernel size could be made configurable, to adjust the radius of the effect. For a small blur, it is possible to sample 17 pixels using just five texture lookups in a single pass - and that’s including the center pixel. A diagram of the stencil can be found in the DoF article linked above, in subsection 28.5.2 - it’s pretty obvious after you’ve seen it once.

So, there’s still a lot of work to do :slight_smile: